Wither rubbing

Smurphy101

Visit site
I have a draught with sweetitch and winter is killing me throughout summer we just put a bib under rugs or didn’t rug him when hot and he was grand but over winter no matter the rug with or without his withers are being rubbed he got rubbed by reins breastplate the whole lot we got fleece to cover the places etc but I don’t know what to do with his withers as my tb had bad wither problems and the bib fixed it all any recommendations would be great

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Are you in the UK? Sweet itch is an allergy to midge bites and doesn't usually happen in winter.

I have known of horses, and owned one, with EMS which looked for all the world as if they had sweet itch, but when the EMS was got under control the sweet itch went. Could this be worth exploring?

Smurphy101

Visit site
Are you in the UK? Sweet itch is an allergy to midge bites and doesn't usually happen in winter.

I have known of horses, and owned one, with EMS which looked for all the world as if they had sweet itch, but when the EMS was got under control the sweet itch went. Could this be worth exploring?
I was told by a vet before buying him that is was sweetitch by saying sweetitch I mean it also means he has very sensitive skin so along with being itchy when flys are out he gets rubbed and cut by things very easy

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If he's itchy in winter when there are no midges, then I really think it could be worth exploring other causes with a different vet.

Regarding the rubbing on the wither I would attach padding to the sides of the wither leaving a clear channel on top of the wither. People with bony old horses often have to do this.

Smurphy101

Visit site
If he's itchy in winter when there are no midges, then I really think it could be worth exploring other causes with a different vet.

Regarding the rubbing on the wither I would attach padding to the sides of the wither leaving a clear channel on top of the wither. People with bony old horses often have to do this.
No he doesn’t itch in the winter sorry for the confusion I just ment by saying sweetitch. He just has sensitive skin I’m gonna try attaching pads to the rugs and see if that helps

Leandy

Visit site
Does a draught horse need rugs in the winter? If they cause more trouble than they are worth just take them off?

eggs

Visit site
Do his winter rugs fit properly? The reason I ask is that rubbed withers are often a sign of a rug sliding back.

I am a little confused at your vet saying he has sweetitch yet you don't need to cover him up in summer when the midges are at their worst.

Sensitive skin is not the same as sweetitch.

Leandy

Visit site
Yes grey draught to no.1 keep him clean and he’s clipped so of keep him warm

Well cleanliness would not be my priority if the rugs are causing him rubbing and irritation with his sensitive skin. Ditto, clipping. I'm also, as others, rather confused from your post as to what is actually the cause of the itchiness. If it is true sweetitch then I understand the need to cover him up whilst the midges are around, but if it isn't then he may very well be more comfortable naked and it may make sense to reorganise your priorities? Without knowing for certain the cause of the skin problems it is hard to make suggestions.

Leandy

Visit site
Actually, I've just reread this. It seems he isn't itchy, it is just that his rugs rub? In that case they don't fit would be the most obvious suggestion.