Wobblers Advice Please

applecart14

Visit site
As for those who ride confirmed wobblers you need your heads examined seriously riding a horse that does not know where its hind limbs are you are playing russian roulette.

Like Popsdosh says I would never ride a known wobblers horse. They are so unpredictable and do not understand limb placement, so are a danger to themselves as well as other. But some horses can have wobblers that produce very subtle signs to start with, hence why I continued to ride mine until it was obvious that he had a problem. I just assumed he had a strange canter due to some other reason - any reason than that, that he was diagnosed with. I had no idea until much later, the heel rubs, the strange canter, the being very strong through the neck.

It really would be russian roulette to continue to ride a wobblers or any horse with a nuero deficit.

applecart14

Visit site
I understand that, but I am trying not to let people get up false hope and then be disappointed. I'd be glad to be told that I am wrong, but I can't find anything online to suggest that this operation is available in the UK in 2015.

I would assume that if the operation was carried out 12 years ago it must still be carried out in the UK and with better results than all those years ago, such are the medical advances in technology.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would assume that if the operation was carried out 12 years ago it must still be carried out in the UK and with better results than all those years ago, such are the medical advances in technology.

Can you find a single reference online anywhere to say that it is? I'd be very happy if you can, but I don't believe in giving people false hope, I was told in 2012 that the operation is not available in the UK because it is considered unethical in horses, and the only references I can find to it are dated seven years ago. They also refer to a two year recovery period, with only 33% of horses improved enough to be ridden.

Please applecart, find me some information that the operation is available and has improved its success rates. There are many horses it would save from being put down. But until you can find that information, I think it would be kinder not to set people off on a wild goose chase trying to find a cure for their horse which isn't possible.

Sophskies, I wish you well today.

popsdosh

Visit site

Whatever advances in technology there are they are not always the right thing for the horse. Which is why its not used . You are not improving the animals quality of life by doing it.

applecart14

Visit site
Please applecart, find me some information that the operation is available and has improved its success rates. There are many horses it would save from being put down. But until you can find that information, I think it would be kinder not to set people off on a wild goose chase trying to find a cure for their horse which isn't possible.

Sophskies, I wish you well today.

I have already said that I can't find anything on google and I have said 'I would assume the operation must still be carried out in the UK'. Maybe you should ask your vet. I am not trying to give false hope to anyone, all along I have said I don't know the answer. I don't claim to be a vet nor do I claim to be mystic meg. But I am sure that the consultant at Liverpool said that there was an operation they could perform called a bagby basket that they would insert into the horses neck bones and fuse them but for the fact that my horse was very badly affected. We didnt get to the stage of talking about prognosis as it was clear it wasn't for him as he had three bones that were causing impingement and the gap was 17mm in his spinal column where it should have been 51mm.

There are enough vets on this forum to know the answer to this question.

ycbm

Visit site
Can anyone lend me a gif of someone banging their head on a desk :D ?

Sophskies, good luck today.

applecart14

Visit site
Can anyone lend me a gif of someone banging their head on a desk :D ?

Sophskies, good luck today.

I am not sure why you are being funny with me? I have given as much information as I know. Its not pleasant talking about something that took the life of my otherwise fit and healthy 10 year old and I have tried to help the orignal poster as much as I can. The videos I attached have upset me watching them. Although they are interesting to people who have never had a horse with this condition they are extremely upsetting to me as my horse resembled that poor horse in the last clip. I have told you what the consultant told me at Liverpool. I went to the Philip Leverhulme hospital and spoke to the consultant there, unfortunately I do not remember his name. I can't provide you with more information otherwise I would.

ycbm

Visit site
I'm being funny with you because after repeated attempts to put you right, with information which I have made clear was given to me years after that which was given to you (and is now out of date), and with absolutely no evidence from the internet or any other source to back you up, you are continuing to give false hope to people with horses with wobblers. I think it's very unfair to do that to people who are in enough trouble as it is.

Sophskies, I wish you well today. I hope we can end this thread on wishing you well today.

applecart14

Visit site
I'm being funny with you because after repeated attempts to put you right, with information which I have made clear was given to me years after that which was given to you (and is now out of date), and with absolutely no evidence from the internet or any other source to back you up, you are continuing to give false hope to people with horses with wobblers. I think it's very unfair to do that to people who are in enough trouble as it is.

Sophskies, I wish you well today. I hope we can end this thread on wishing you well today.

How have I given you or others false hope??? By suggesting that there 'may' be an operation available as it was mentioned to me in 2004? By stating the conversation between my consultant and me in 2004 when he said Rommy's condition was inoperable due to the amount of vetebrae that were affected with C6 being the problem, that it is very difficult to treat once C6 is involved? That suggests to me that he was saying that if he wasn't so badly affected the condition would have been operable. But as I say I was taking this information in with difficulty as I had just been told that I would never be able to ride my beloved horse again and when I said that was okay and begged him to let me keep him in the field as a pet I was told that I couldn't because he was dangerous as he could have fallen on anyone and would have to be PTS. If you had seen him scrabbling about on the concrete trying to get up after falling down on arrival at the clinic and not being able to because he didn't know where his feet were you wouldn't be so blase about the whole thing.

Someone on here has already said many years ago they were offered the operation at Liphook. So it has/is/was carried out in the country.

You are very callous and uncaring with your approach towards me and why you think all this is funny is beyond me. Wobblers is not funny I can assure you and to say that you are 'banging your head against a brick wall' when all I am doing is trying to assist the OP is beyond me.
You will see in this previous post how I have tried to explain it - http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?301213-Wobblers-syndrome

Sophskies good luck today, it goes without saying that I hope you have positive news for your horse.

Last edited:

Sophskies

Visit site
It's not good news I'm afraid. He showed up really badly in all the Neurological tests and an Xray confirmed. It's the C5/C6area which is compressing the spinal chord. He has been graded a 2 to 3, but the vet said unusually he is equally affected in both the front and rear legs where as most horses are worse behind and don't really get it in front. The prognosis is poor, basically he stays with me while he's still relatively stable and happy and when the time comes I do the right thing by him. The vet did say the operation is possible still in the UK, apparently lots of racehorses have it, but most vets deem it unethical, Bell included. She did say I could be referred if I wanted but I wouldn't put him through that. Needless to say he can't be ridden and is now a slightly wobbly and unbalanced field ornament. I'm so gutted as he's such a kind boy. Thanks for all your well wishes and info

popsdosh

Visit site
I am so sorry :(

Ditto I really feel for you !!!!!
Bbeen there done that got the T shirt im afraid . You will know when the time is right ,he will tell you!! Just please up until that time never forget when handling him of his problems as it would be more of a tragedy if you got hurt as well . For what its worth I think all on here will applaud you for your decision about his future .

Nudibranch

Visit site
What a shame. I was really hoping it would be something less serious. But it sounds like you have a decent plan. I hope he and you can enjoy the time you have together.

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
Hi Just to say i have also been through this - with my 3yo who i had had since a 6mo.. started having problems at 18mo. i umm'ed and ahh'ed about what to do, went through denial, optimism and then massive lows... and then one day she just made the decision for me, much sooner than i would have liked but had her pts just after her 3rd birthday. It may not be your decision but i felt that the operation was just too much to put her through so didn't even consider that.

Its cr@ppy luck and i am really sorry you have had to go through it too, enjoy your time you have with him x

Sophskies

Visit site
Thank you, sorry for your loss. Poor horse is absolutely hopping lame on front leg today. Heat in the foot and swollen fetlock but no heat in the leg. I'm hoping it's just an abcess, farrier will check tomorrow. I fear if it's anything more serious it might force my hand. Forgot to mention that vet said normally back legs affected and fronts not so much - he has it equally badly front and rear so I'm worried about him being so lame whilst being uncoordinated. So awful. Hope its nothing to do with the tests yesterday.

applecart14

Visit site
Thank you, sorry for your loss. Poor horse is absolutely hopping lame on front leg today. Heat in the foot and swollen fetlock but no heat in the leg. I'm hoping it's just an abcess, farrier will check tomorrow. I fear if it's anything more serious it might force my hand. Forgot to mention that vet said normally back legs affected and fronts not so much - he has it equally badly front and rear so I'm worried about him being so lame whilst being uncoordinated. So awful. Hope its nothing to do with the tests yesterday.

My horse had his front legs affected as well. At Livepool they carried out neuro tests before the xrayed confirmed the diagnosis and they put one of his feet in front of the other and he just stood there. Then they put one on top of the other and again he stood there, totally unaware of where his feet where place. Try to do that with any other horse and they move their feet immediately.

In fact Rommy was so bad that if you had tugged on his tail with any degree of force he would have gone right down.

Sophskies, sorry to sound matter of fact as I certainly don't mean to be but the farrier will need to be mindful tomorrow of the horses condition. Lifting a leg on an ataxic horse is a very dangerous activity and would be better carried out in an open area, maybe a barn or menage so that the farrier can get out of the way if necessary, a stable may prove too small a space. Maybe a couple of danillon or bute before he comes out will stabilse your boy a bit so he won't be so unsteady on his legs.

I do hope his abcess is quickly sorted and you manage to spend more precious time with him.
Thinking of you x

Rommy - 1994 - 2004

Last edited:

Sophskies

Visit site
My horse had his front legs affected as well. At Livepool they carried out neuro tests before the xrayed confirmed the diagnosis and they put one of his feet in front of the other and he just stood there. Then they put one on top of the other and again he stood there, totally unaware of where his feet where place. Try to do that with any other horse and they move their feet immediately.

In fact Rommy was so bad that if you had tugged on his tail with any degree of force he would have gone right down.

Sophskies, sorry to sound matter of fact as I certainly don't mean to be but the farrier will need to be mindful tomorrow of the horses condition. Lifting a leg on an ataxic horse is a very dangerous activity and would be better carried out in an open area, maybe a barn or menage so that the farrier can get out of the way if necessary, a stable may prove too small a space. Maybe a couple of danillon or bute before he comes out will stabilse your boy a bit so he won't be so unsteady on his legs.

I do hope his abcess is quickly sorted and you manage to spend more precious time with him.
Thinking of you x

Rommy - 1994 - 2004

Thank you, yes I've told the farrier about his condition and he saw him outside. Unfortunately he couldn't find an abcess though. He thinks possibly mechanical laminitis. He's got 2 days of poulticing and a farrier recheck on Monday. If that doesn't help ill give him a week to improve and if he doesn't I'm afraid that will have to be it. I can't let him Hobble around in his condition. If it's something superficial it will show signs of improvement in a week. I don't know what it is though it's been ever since the tests at the vet on Tues.

ycbm

Visit site
Thank you, yes I've told the farrier about his condition and he saw him outside. Unfortunately he couldn't find an abcess though. He thinks possibly mechanical laminitis. He's got 2 days of poulticing and a farrier recheck on Monday. If that doesn't help ill give him a week to improve and if he doesn't I'm afraid that will have to be it. I can't let him Hobble around in his condition. If it's something superficial it will show signs of improvement in a week. I don't know what it is though it's been ever since the tests at the vet on Tues.

Did they treat him with steroids at the vet to try and improve his ataxia? If so, it can cause laminitis.

So sorry for you, you can do without this too :(

Sophskies

Visit site
No, unfortunately they said steroids wouldn't do him any good. I'm really struggling to know what to do for the best. He's still so bright in himself.

ycbm

Visit site
No, unfortunately they said steroids wouldn't do him any good. I'm really struggling to know what to do for the best. He's still so bright in himself.

Sophskies, I hope this helps and doesn't upset you. Please remember that he might go down and be unable to get up at any time from now on. You might go out in the morning and find he's been down and struggling all night. He might give up lying down for fear of being unable to get up, and a horse that can't lie down can't dream, I think, and can end up with sleep deprivation. A prey animal who knows he can't run is constantly under stress.

In your shoes, I made the decision to have my boy put down. I miss him desperately but I've never regretted making what I felt was the right choice for him at the time.

Last edited:

Sophskies

Visit site
Thank you, I know it's such a hard call to make. My only problem is he's not that doddery yet - if he can box walk at the speed he does in tight circles round and round it can't be too bad - I've got him a place in a retirement facility where he can be seen from the windows of the house, I'm going to get his front leg right (called the vet today and she said if I wanted to retire rather than pts she's happy to nerve block and xray his front leg to find the problem and fix it so he can retire comfortably). This seems like the right choice to me for how he is at the moment. And as soon as that changs I will make the necessary decision. But he's not doddery enough yet to warrant pts. Like the vet said he could have a month or he could go on for 17 years at this level. I'm willing to give him the chance. Xx

meesha

Visit site
Only you will know what is best, I have 2 broken ones I am trying to do the best by, including booking pts/removal and breaking my heart over it and then cancelling/postponing on vets advice only to have to consider that Mondays vets viist for the other one may not have good outcome! (Hugs)