Wobbly Wintec, anyone else get sideways movement?

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
My cob has been 1/2 a tenth lame on each hindleg - as diagnosed by Vet - since he was about 7 (he's now 15) which generally manigests itself as a bit stiff behind sometimes, and can feel a bit unlevel for the first 100 yards of a hack, and then he's fine - well, as good as he gets!

He has two saddles, a wintec dressage flocked which he has outgrown width ways this summer, and a Wintec wide, currently on the middle purple tree, yes he is XXXW. The wide moves sideways, sometimes as much as three inches, then of course it then presses on his spine, and does neither of us much good. I do get people to check on my position when we're riding, and they say I sit straight to the horse, generally I'm trying to ignore the saddle. I had the saddle fit checked this summer at Wychanger Barton, and they said to change up two tree sizes, as he puts weight on very quickly. This did help a bit, but the saddle still slips. I can't get on him from the ground, as it goes right around his belly, it has to be a toe-in-and-on job from a mounting block. He is due a back check up next week, he has had problems in the past, and he's been really awkward recently about being caught, and fidgety when tacking up.

Now, the question is, does the saddle shift because of his soundness issues, or because it's a Wintec? I will willingly shell out for a different saddle, if it solves the problem, but I don't want to spend a fortune and still have an unhappy horse and a twisted rider, so please give me your opinions.

This is us about three years ago with the dressage saddle
LucyHarley.jpg

And one about 4 years ago showing his typical cob shape
DSC01221.jpg

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Very common problem with wintecs on wide cobs, the problem is the saddle is too deep seated and the curve of the panel means the only way to reduce movement is to go to a narrower fit which has the effect of bringing more weight on the back of the saddle. Most saddles roll a bit on a cob but the thorowgood cob saddle is much flatter underneath and seems to cause less "rolling" issues. Get one fitted when he is plump and then in winter use a thicker numnah. On a cob with a synthetic it is wise to err on the narrow side AS LONG AS IT IS NOT GOING TO PINCH to help prevent this rolling problem.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have this problem. Ive got a Wintec Wide on my Welsh Cob (same sort of shape as yours - barrel shaped basically!). Mine does slip side to side but Ive not found any other saddle to fit him without having one made at great expense!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Thanks everyone, makes me feel better if I'm not alone. Yes it is a problem buying a saddle which isn't in the average width fittings without going bankrupt! Interesting about the Throwgood saddle - I had a jumping style one a few years back (when Harley was thinner!) and loved it, maybe that's another route to try.

Someone told me today to try a treeless on him - she wasn't personally keen on them, but felt they might suit my boy, and we don't compete anymore. I know there are good and bad treeless out there, so I guess that's my next line of research. Would prefer a traditional look saddle really though.