Wolf Teeth again - sorry!

Helena88

Visit site
right so clo (my horse) had his wolf teeth (blind wolf teeth if that makes a difference) out this time last week. and hes now had this week off.

dentist checked him again today - and said everything was FINE. but then he said i need to wait another two weeks (from today) before putting a bit in his mouth - so thats 21 days/3weeks in total of rest (after he gave the impression of only needing one week when we first asked about it - the horse's current owners seemed to suggest a week too)

now, i dont want to cause my horse pain or complications/problems or go against the advice of a professional, BUT that seems an enormous amount of time to have off after wolf teeth

and as he is being transported to the UK, im worried that he wont settle as well in the UK without being ridden... although obviously i dont intend to do any very serious riding (that would put much pressure on his mouth) and with a happy mouth bit

just wondered if anyone had had any experience of this, and how long you rested the horse? does this seem a long time to you?

Louby

Visit site
With my last horse the vet then said 3 weeks but also said the tooth was big. My boy had his out last year and the vet (different one) said 1 week so I suppose it depends on the size of the tooth and the opinion of the vet. Sorry cant be more helpful.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
best to give him plenty if time off as you don't want to risk him being in pain from the bit and then having a problem in the future, after all 3 weeks really isn't that long in the scheme of things, i'm sure he'll settle fine once he starts work again, he'll probably enjoy the rest and come back much refreshed.

Snowberry

Visit site
Spirit had his wolf teeth out last year (blind ones too) and dentist said he'd be fine the next day!! (although he wasnt backed, he had just started long reining and had bridle on next day!!
shocked.gif
)

Helena88

Visit site
its not that its a huge problem its just that everyone i've spoken to has said that they waited at a max a week... so three weeks seems quite some time!! especially as everyhing seems to be going fine! i guess ill just have to lunge him in a headcollar