Wolf teeth - how much?

kate081

Visit site
I suspect my horses wolf teeth are giving her problems. I know she still has them & she's been unusually differcult lately. Anyone know how much it costs to have them taken out? Dentist coming next week.

hadfos

Visit site
Should be normal cost???think it only costs more when vets are involved,i had to have my lad sedated as his wolf tooth was huge
frown.gif
nothing ever easy with my lad,lol
grin.gif

kate081

Visit site
I assume it went ok for both of them? I've never had a horse with wolf teeth before. She's 7 & they've been OK the past 3 years. I guess dentist will be able to tell if they're sore. I'm not keen to have them taken out for the sake of it. I'm actually hoping she's just got some sharp edges. How much time off did yours have? I wouldn't get them done without sedation - too many risks.

imafluffybunny

Visit site
Yes both were fine, It was a few years ago now but i think they had 1-2 weeks off. They both healed up fine and I have never had any problems since.

hadfos

Visit site
if only tiny they wont even notice them being pulled
smile.gif
,so i would see how they are with dentist,if good not worth the call out etc for vet
smile.gif
,will not tell you story behind vet and my boys
mad.gif
,vet was very close to being knocked over the head with something very heavy...never used them since
frown.gif
...however when he pulled the tooth,i was convinced it could never have caused a problem it was soooo big(infact it was that big i wasnt convinced it was a wolf tooth,lol,it was only because of shape at top i knew it was),,root however was growing under molars,i have the tooth so at some point will take a pic for all to see...it is mahooosive
confused.gif

PennyJ

Visit site
Cost from 1 month ago, must pay this bill now!

Call out £40
Sedation £21.50
Extract 2 wolf Teeth £52
Inject pain relief £11.80
Danilon/bute x 5 £3.40

I didn't think that was too bad, it wasn't a 5 minute job. All prices are including VAT. Oh, also on a 7 year old.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Didn't the rules change awhile ago to say that horse dentists aren't allowed to remove teeth anymore so you have to get a vet to do it which means it will cost more?

kate081

Visit site
interesting. What symptoms did yours have? A is normally v v easy going but just wont settle esp at canter. She's crossing her jaw & spooking at silly things. I can't see her wolf teeth properly coz she wont stay still but when she's got the bit in she's clamping it with her tongue to the roof of her mouth. Poor girl
frown.gif
Was supposed to be doing a ODE next weekend. Think she'll be going to the vet now instead!