Wolf teeth or Canine teeth??? Someone clarify!!

katie_southwest

Visit site
Today I thought my mare was a bit unhappy when riding so checked her mouth after and saw a tooth coming out of the gum just behind her front few teeth on her lower jaw...
Someone said it was a wolf tooth but now after looking on the internet it could be a canine??
There is a lump on the other side where another one is coming out I think but hasnt come out of the gum yet...
Any ideas? Im not that clued up on teeth
crazy.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Wolf teeth are up close to the molars, so you'd have trouble seeing them without a gag or opening the horse's mouth very wide. They often need removed as they cause problems with bitting at times.
Canine teeth are nearer the incisors so more easily seen, and don't usually cause a problem unless broken or damaged.
I have a still bloody wolf tooth from my youngster (hauled out today) if you want me to post it?
S
grin.gif

katie_southwest

Visit site
Haha ummmmm no thanks shils Il pass thanks
grin.gif
Ok so I dont really have to worry unless it hurts her? I thought I saw blood on her mouth after our hack thats all so panicked when I saw a tooth coming out!! Its on her lower jaw quite close to the front so guess its a canine
smile.gif
Well Iv learnt something new today!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Well, she's a bit old to be growing new canines now - and many mares don't have them at all, or tiny ones when they do.
Perhaps she has had them for a little while, but somehow has split the gum covering them so they are more noticeable (this would explain the blood too) if you see what I mean?
All horses are different, as people are, though.
S
grin.gif

katie_southwest

Visit site
Yes I see what you mean. I just wasnt sure what it was so thought it was hurting her!I can also see a lump on the other side where it looks like one is going to come out too. The dentist is out next month anyway so I suppose he can make sure all is ok
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Maybe just work her on the lunge or give her a day off tomorrow...and have a good look to see your bit is fitted so as not to rub on the gum over the canine?
Hope she is better soon. And I hope my poor 3yo will be able to eat by tomorrow
frown.gif

S
grin.gif

katie_southwest

Visit site
Yes hope he/she is better soon
frown.gif
Dentist is in the area tomorrow so is going to pop in and see her early
smile.gif
and yes I checked her bit when we got back,it wasnt rubbing but thats how I saw the tooth. Her tounge is quite fat though,surely the teeth rub on the underneath? Oh I dont know, I worry too much
grin.gif