Wolf teeth remove or not to remove?

mollybella

Visit site
2year old filly wanting to mouth her up, one girl on my yard has a 7 year old with all
His wolf teeth with no issues others say remove them
Before contact.. What's your thoughts?

cambrica

Visit site
Personally, I like wolf teeth out. If they are removed then they are never going to be a problem. Left in they may or may not cause problems.
I had my boys removed as one was set forward from the molars and would certainly have caused him a degree of pain and discomfort. He was sedated by the vet who then removed within 2 minutes. Easy.

Wheels

Visit site
My boy only had one wolf tooth, he's a bit odd bless him.

I came out and very easily too. Have a chat with your edt about it, mine said if the roots were big and it didnt move when she tugged I then it wouldn't cause an issue when bitting but it was a big tooth with a small root and it moved with applied pressure so she took it out

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Wolf teeth are the only equine teeth that contain nerves through the length so this is why they give problems with a bit (a lot of the time)
I have them extracted.

poorchickens

Visit site
I've just had my 6 year old's extracted. They weren't causing any trouble but one had snapped off so I had both removed to be on the safe side. No bother taking them out and a bargain at £150 ;-)

cambrica

Visit site
I would say sooner rather than later. My EDT doesn't do wolf teeth and they have to be sedated by a vet. Hence my vet took them out and my bill was just over £100. Or time it with her vaccs to save on call out charges.

Thistle

Visit site
My EDT said to get my 2 year olds wolf teeth out before he is bitted, they are large and forward and will contact the bit. The 3 year old has small ones too so they may as well come out when the vet is here tomorrow as well. Both horses are booked in.

mollybella

Visit site
Good thinking my EDT does and charges a standard price of £35.. But only has numb paste to numb the gum but I don't want her to be out off the dentist for life. So I thinking of rather spend that little bit extra more mental health reasons & get her sedated :) x

Tnavas

Visit site
Definitely remove - they are very shallow rooted so if the bit does knock them they cause problems - it's so easy for your dentist to remove them - usually only takes a push, twist and pull.

If you leave them and they start causing problems you then have to work the horse through the anticipated discomfort and it can take some horses many months to forget the pain - it's not worth that risk

WelshD

Visit site
They are better off without them

My 11hh pony had wolf teeth over an inch long, took the vet the best part of an hour to take them out but he (the pony!) was noticeably happier with them gone

mollybella

Visit site
Wow that's a long time.. Oh poor bella..! Shes got it all to come.. I hate going to the dentist myself so can't even put myself in to a horses shoes.. Predator with giant metal clasp :) x

BBP

Visit site
Mine took ages to get out as well, he kept pushing through the sedation, even when he was given more. Should have put a clydesdale out for the count and he's only tiny! That said, he wasn't distressed he and his teeth were just very stubborn! He did sleep for about 3hrs afterwards before I felt ok to leave him tho. I did it before he ever had a bit in to minimise future problems.

nix123

Visit site
Getting a bit worried now... my dentist said would i like my horses wolf teeth taking out whilst he was doing some work and horse was sedated. Not knowing enough about them said what do you (dentist) think. The reply was horse is 12yrs old, never had any problems with them and its old fashioned to just remove them for no reason so leave them in. If its not broke don't fix it. My horse doesn't show any problems and has his teeth done every 6mths, so what should i do?

mollybella

Visit site
My friend has her horses wolf teeth in.. Hence the thread as I didn't no what to do, but it obv affect horses diff.. If your not having issues leave them in :) x

mjcssjw2

Visit site
my horse has them and is 15 we have never had a problem.
Have a 2 year old filly who also has them EDT said remove, but seeing as he said that about another horse on the farm and they had an awful time getting them out I am going to leave them and see if they cause an issue.

GeorgeyGal

Visit site
My EDT says keep them unless they cause issues but having a 2 yr old myself I don't want to wait for issues to arise. I have heard they can fall out on their own so I'm going to wait a while yet. I'll have to clarify why my EDT said removing them can cause issues in itself, not sure what he meant by that.

nix123

Visit site
Thank you. I'm going to leave them unless something happens obv. Phew getting a bit of a worry on earlier!

Jools2345

Visit site
Its has recently become illegal for an EDT to remove teeth, it is classed as a surgical procedure so by law can now only be performed by an EDT.

personally i would rather an EDT removed teeth as i feel they have more experience with teeth than a vet but if an EDT did them an there were complications there would be no insurance cover

Tnavas

Visit site
Its has recently become illegal for an EDT to remove teeth, it is classed as a surgical procedure so by law can now only be performed by an EDT.

personally i would rather an EDT removed teeth as i feel they have more experience with teeth than a vet but if an EDT did them an there were complications there would be no insurance cover

It's really getting ridiculous! Who makes up these stupid laws and how do they get approved - should be more people making a big noise.

I won't let the vet anywhere near my horses teeth - he barely knows anything about them!

Jools2345

Visit site
It's really getting ridiculous! Who makes up these stupid laws and how do they get approved - should be more people making a big noise.

I won't let the vet anywhere near my horses teeth - he barely knows anything about them!

yep its pants i agree.

my mare had her wolf teeth out about 6 wks ago, the EDT works at the vets every so often which means he does the work with a vet in attendance-my mare needed 2 lots of sedation and a local for her teeth to be removed, the vet attending is very interested in teeth so is peering at what the dentist is doing and asking questions all the time so it is nice to have the security of him being there

Jools2345

Visit site
So EDTs can no longer remove wolf teeth??? Where can I find this information??? X

thats right

i would imagine it will be on a the BVA website, i work at a small animal vets that is linked to equine and my friend is a practice manager of a equine vets and it was her that made me aware of it when it came in