Wolf teeth

Pippity

Visit site
My 6yo had what I'm pretty sure was her first ever dentist visit today. As expected, her teeth were in a terrible state, but the vet has also said she's got a wolf tooth that needs to come out, and wants to take her into hospital to do it.

This is just coming through yard staff atm, and I haven't had a chance to speak to the vet directly (will have to wait until Monday) but I'm a bit startled. I've got no experience of wolf teeth (never had a horse this young) but my understanding was that they can usually be taken out at home under sedation. Should I be worried?

Shay

Visit site
Depends on where in the jaw they are (as in upd an down - not laterally!) - and to an extent how tetchy she was for the dentist!! If something is above the skin and the horse is quiet to treat standing sedation is usually enough. But if there is nothing visible and the tooth well embedded - or the horse just difficult / nervous to treat the vet may feel safer at a hospital. Not necessarily under full anesthetic - but more heavily sedated that might be wise at home. But an unerrupted woolf tooth is only an issue when its an issue. If it isn't causing problems it can be left.

southerncomfort

Visit site
We took our pony in to have his removed as he had to be quite heavily sedated.

He'd bolted with me the week before and left me with a nasty concussion which was totally out of character.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d clarify with the vet.
It would be pretty rare not to be able to remove under sedation & local at your yard.

Pippity

Visit site
I spoke to the vet, and got the information without playing telephones! There's no rush for the wolf tooth to come out, depending on how Blue is in her mouth now all the sharp edges have been taken care of. She only suggested it be done in hospital to save me a call-out fee if I have access to transport.

Phew! So I'll stop stressing, pop a bit in, and see if the wolf tooth does need to come out. If it does, I'll just have it done at home. I really need to stop getting ahead of myself with worrying!

SpringArising

Visit site
Did you question why he wanted the wolf teeth out? It's often not necessary - I would only have them removed if they were causing notable issues.

My last two horses have both had theirs in and they caused no problems at all.

Pippity

Visit site
The vet said that, in her experience, they're more likely to cause trouble if there's only one. Blue has been uncomfortable in her mouth, but I'd put that down to the many sharp edges elsewhere. The vet suggested to see how she settles now those have been taken care of and, if she's still uncomfortable, get the wolf tooth out. Otherwise, don't bother.

SpringArising

Visit site
The vet said that, in her experience, they're more likely to cause trouble if there's only one. Blue has been uncomfortable in her mouth, but I'd put that down to the many sharp edges elsewhere. The vet suggested to see how she settles now those have been taken care of and, if she's still uncomfortable, get the wolf tooth out. Otherwise, don't bother.

That's definitely the way to go. They're a bit like Wisdom teeth in that they only need to come out if there's an issue!

TheBigGuy1988

New User
Visit site
My 6yo had what I'm pretty sure was her first ever dentist visit today. As expected, her teeth were in a terrible state, but the vet has also said she's got a wolf tooth that needs to come out, and wants to take her into hospital to do it.

This is just coming through yard staff atm, and I haven't had a chance to speak to the vet directly (will have to wait until Monday) but I'm a bit startled. I've got no experience of wolf teeth (never had a horse this young) but my understanding was that they can usually be taken out at home under sedation. Should I be worried?

My equine dentist has removed a few wolf teeth from our horses over the years? Always just pulled out with some special pliers at home? Always been tiny things that come out. I’d get a second opinion just to be sure they aren’t trying squeeze some extra cash

Back in the day my grandma used to do them her self ha ha ha!!