Women's problems

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
Can anyone offer any advice on ovarian inflamation. My 13 year old mare has recently showed mild personality changes which I initially put down to her general dominant nature and seasonal awkwardness. However, she began to have a mild muscle spasm in her hind quarters which came and went. The ostiopath came to have a look (you always think back) and yep there is an inflamation down there. Fingers crossed it is something that can be treated with drugs (vet is out later today) but if anyone has had anything like this I'd be interested to hear,

Cheers

squirtlysmum

Visit site
Your vet might try putting her on Regumate this will help her hormones and overies etc to settle down. My mare went on it for a while after having a sprog as her seasons were quite mixed up and it did the trick also a friends mare who is a cow bag is on it all the time and the drug settles her behaviour etc down. If they do try it ask for the Porcine (for Pigs) not Equine Regumate as the piggy one is a quarter the price and does exactly the same job with no side effects and don't worry she won't start to sniff out truffles etc.
The spasming may well be due to her hormones going barmy, let us know how you get on.

catembi

Visit site
My horse had an ovarian tumour which made her think she was a stallion - v aggressive, biting, kicking, trying to sh*g my other mare... The tumour was removed & her hormones normalised within 6 weeks. It weighed 15 lb & was the size of a football! But without them, she wasn't assertive enough jumping, so I sold her.

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
Had the vet out today, everything was in order but her stomach continually growlled. Fortunately he dismissed any ovary problem as she was relatively dosile. However she has had a large build up of gas and her stomach has stretched slightly as a result. So she's on basic rations and box rest for the next few days, plus a stack of injections. In simple terms the vet told me she needed a really good fart - fingers crossed that'll be it and that I won't be in close proximity when the time comes. Many thanks for your answer and everyone elses.

sherwood'

Visit site
def get the pig one tho as the vets try and get u to take the equien one jsut to get more money out of u! Regumate def works tho- i had a mare on it during competition season. Just watch that u wear goves too when feeding it as it can make u infertile!

Klaudette

Visit site
The UK Veterinary profession is heavily regulated with regards to what drugs we can prescribe. It is known formally as the cascade system. It means that if there is a suitable product for a particular disease and animal then that drug will be licensed for use. Therefore vets should by law be using Equine 'Regumate' not the porcine version. If they are using the porcine version they are breaking this code of practice. That is why we use the equine version. It is not to charge you extra or rip you off!!! Also if something happens while the porcine version is being used then then owner would be able to pursue damages against the clinician who administered the product. Drugs can be used 'off licence' if there is not another drug available. Hence the cascade system.