Wonder supplement required... Any suggestions?

wench

Visit site
Ok so what I need is something that will help a stressy horse not stress, keep stomach in good health (prone to ulcers) and have pre/pro biotics in.

Any suggestions? Horse is on full livery so having lots of pots is not ideal.

Horse is currently on Equifeasts cool calm and collected, and an ulcer supplement called Aquacid. Has previously been given all tech life force but didnt make a noticeable difference.

If I look on a website like coligone or happy tummy charcoal they are full of good testimonials, but not sure what will work on my horse!

quizzie

Visit site
Not so much a supplement, but Healthy Tummy from Dengie, it is an alfa based chaff (non-molassed) with protexin pro-biotic in, & a few other things to help gut health.

It has transformed my ulcer-prone horse from a picky eater with major adrenaline issues, to a fairly good eater, whinnying for his food, who is only an adrenaline junky in the SJ arena...and not as bad as before either.

khalswitz

Visit site
I use NAF Magic alongside NAF Haylage balancer in winter - both are designed for stressy tummies, Magic has pre- and pro-biotics, and the Haylage Balancer is an all-round vit and min supp as well.

wench

Visit site
Hi thanks for the suggestion ... I will keep it in mind, I'm more after a supplement due to lack of storage space for bags of feed!

be positive

Visit site
Protexin worked well for mine when he required extra support, I changed to brewers yeast once he was out 24/7 and feed healthy tummy but if looking for a simple way to supplement I will use it again.
NAF Gastraid works for another of mine, the haylage balancer made him footy so I avoid that now.

Hedwards

Visit site
Alltech Lifeforce!

Its absolutely changed my ulcer prone boy - i tried protexin and regretted it. but all horses react differently. Diet wise he gets 1/2 a scoop Dengi Hi-Fi unmollassed, Lifeforce, Boswellia (and if he needs some oomph i add ERS pellets). He's out 24/7, rugged appropraitely and looks great and is a dream to ride!

pearcider

Visit site
Ive found feedmark camomille really good (give 2 scoops am and pm) we notice a difference on the youngsters if we take them off it...

tinkerbell88

Visit site
Protexin acid ease. Changed my horse completely! She now holds her weight, eats up all her hard feed and is a much calmer more manageable horse. Cheapest place is viovet.

wench

Visit site
Tries lifeforce, and it didn't seem to make much difference to my horse if she was on it or not. She's also been on protexin pre/pro biotics, and that didn't seem to make much difference to her either :(

TPO

Visit site
Contact Sarah at Forage Plus.

Lots of interesting reading about ulcers on her site too in conjunction with Dr Kerry Ridgway.

amy_b

Visit site
100% recommend Protexin Acid Ease
Had my ulcery boy on normal protexin with good results, put him on this and noticed a difference in 24 hours. Absolutely amazing. Can't recommend highly enough!!
He is now down from all sort of powders to just a scoop of just grass, scoop on conditioning nuts and a scoop of this. Because they are pellets he gobbles them up no problem! :))

TarrSteps

Visit site
So what HAS worked? If none of the ones many people swear by - Protexin, Happy Tummy, Coligone, Lifeforce - work then maybe it's not a supplement related issue?

ihatework

Visit site
I wish I could invent a wonder supplement. One that worked for every horse, for a variety of conditions.
Would save people a fortune in vets fees :D

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I have used Coligine with great results but many moons ago (like 20+ years!) a friend had an ex racer who weaved, windsucked, generally stressed every ounce of weight off, he was girthy and in hindsight displayed all the classic signs of ulcers. We started him on NAF Thrive and I swear to you the difference was incredible! He gained weight, largely stopped the vices and became a far less stressed individual. Assuming they haven't changed the formula compared to the others mentioned above its super cheap so I would definitely give it a try! Must admit when I put mine on it before I had forgotten all about Thrive!

kobi

Visit site
Equimins metabalance 2. You havd to phone them to order it. Being a geek I scientifically analysed all of the multivits with probiotics with a focus on making sure they only contain stuff regularly deficient in uk grazing and plenty of magnesium. In my opinion this was by far the best value for money and my horse looks great on it.

wench

Visit site
The Aquacid has made a difference. She was awful when I took her off it.

Previous yards have reported that the life force and protexin gut balancer didnt make any difference.

I was hoping that someone may know of an obscure "wonder" product I hadn't heard about!

khalswitz

Visit site
http://www.hackup.co.uk/ this company is worth a try, I have just used them and they totally bespoke your supplement, defo worth giving them a call, he is v knowledgeable

OMG, just did this out of interest... this guy is amazing! And the joint supp/calmer works out not too much dearer than the NAF stuff I was using, but made easy and just to suit him, with none of the bulk/preservatives in normal supplements because they're not sitting on a shelf. Had a long chat about what he was like and the problems we have. Very impressed! Will have to try... I don't mind spending money on supplements if they work, I just hate the idea of spending money and it doing nothing... so it's tester time!

Pasha

Visit site
So what HAS worked? If none of the ones many people swear by - Protexin, Happy Tummy, Coligone, Lifeforce - work then maybe it's not a supplement related issue?

I agree and maybe you need to re-think the complete diet and management?

I tried everything with my boy and nothing worked until I switched him onto mainly organic, natural (herbs and non processed) feed. I am on full livery so it does mean that I am paying extra for his feed, but works out cheaper than all the supplements!

I use Thunderbrook Base Mix and a blend of herbs from Equi Natural, blended specifically for my boys needs. The yard add Speedi Beet and Alfa a when needed. Simples ;)

TPO

Visit site
The Aquacid has made a difference. She was awful when I took her off it.

Previous yards have reported that the life force and protexin gut balancer didnt make any difference.

I was hoping that someone may know of an obscure "wonder" product I hadn't heard about!

1) - why don't you put her back on Aquacid if she was better on it and downhill since off it? Am I missing something? Quite possible!

2) the only "obscure" solution I can think of is when SpottedCat contacted Silver Lining Herbs re her horse's chronically bad loose droppings. I think she'd tried just about everything and I'm sure he was an ulcer horse too. It would be worth a PM to her (if she still comes on here?) but long story short it worked and cost about £30.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I know a few people who have had good experiences with Silver Lining - definitely worth a call. A client of mine uses a similar service but the woman is local and comes out to see the horse personally.

For most sensitive horses it's a 'big picture' conversation and involves the whole program, not just management but riding/training as well. I do find simple is almost always best but it can take some care to get there. If there was a magic bullet everyone would be using it!