Wonky floors!

sophie550

Visit site
I’ve recently moved my 3 year old to a new stable where my stable floor is very slanted! I was worried this would be an issue and affect his legs/tendons (as being constantly stood on a slant surely can’t do them any good?) Half the stable is flat and the other half is slanted, probably about 15 degrees, so quite a bit more than just a slight slant which would allow the wet to drain away. I mentioned this to our yard owner who replied that I shouldn’t worry as it won’t affect my youngster legs as when they’re in the field they’re on a slope. To me the field is totally different as they’re constantly moving around! I wasn’t aware this is how my stable would be when I moved there as I was originally in a very nice (flat!) stable. He is turned out daily so is in his stable over night, however this morning when I brought him out he seemed slightly stiff for a few minutes until he’d moved around a bit more.

I want him out of that yard ASAP, I just want to know whether to go off what my yard owner is saying, or stick to what I’m thinking that it will affect him.

Makemineacob

Visit site
I wouldn't be happy with it. I totally agree with you that Being in a sloped field is totally different to being in a stable with a sloped floor, horses obviously stand still and always have a particular favourite place to stand, so very likely he will be standing in exactly the same spot and hence same uneven stresses on the same areas all the time. I would imagine it would be very strange for him to lie down in as well. I would want him in a stable with a level floor if he was mine.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Out of interest, do some of your horses not stand partly on their bedding (thus their hind end slightly raised) and forelegs on concrete/rubber matting at the front of their stable?
Not a wonky stable, but still unlevel for horse to stand on.

Equi

Visit site
Out of interest, do some of your horses not stand partly on their bedding (thus their hind end slightly raised) and forelegs on concrete/rubber matting at the front of their stable?
Not a wonky stable, but still unlevel for horse to stand on.

All of mine stand in the beds. They have their corners and stick to it. Beds are always big enough to accomodate this lol

FlyingCircus

Visit site
All of mine stand in the beds. They have their corners and stick to it. Beds are always big enough to accomodate this lol

Short of filling the entire stable with bedding, there's no way I could accommodate this as my gelding likes to stand half on his bed and half off in order to see out of the door (he's a nosey thing!)