Wood pellet bedding

Visit site
Who uses it?
If you do, what make do you use?
What are your opinions about it?

smile.gif

mon

Visit site
I use nutures best very pleased with it very little waste as mucking out so muc easier usually skip into a trug bucket then tip into trailer,do twice a day and muck heap so much smaller.

teddyt

Visit site
Loads of people on here use it and love it. I personally dislike it because you mix some of the wet bedding in with the dry bedding. I do not like the idea of my horse standing/sleeping on bedding that is basically mixed with urine, even if it doesnt look damp the urine is still there. I know with any bedding you get wet patches but generally they are removed or if deep littering clean bedding is put on top. With wood pellets you are mixing it in and spreading it around.

cellie

Visit site
What do you pay and how big are the bags.Im using hemcore which I really like for absorbancy but its expensive £8 per bag.Im thinking of buying rubber matting to help with cost but know it will take a while to get money back on it.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
The pellets work out about £2.50 a 10kg bag - the more you buy the cheaper it works out. All the suppliers charge about the same and you can get it in bags or loose in the big builders sacks (which is the cheapest way). I have tried it this year for the first time and will be sticking with it in future as am really pleased with it. Have one really clean horse who has lammi so can't be kept on straw and one really filthy horse who it has been a god send for! He pees and poos everywhere and then tries to hide it but since changing to pellets mucking out takes about 15 minutes for both and less than a barrow instead of ages and 3 or 4 barrows from his stable alone!! I muck out the wet everyday with proper thorough muck outs at weekends to get any wet that has been missed during the week. Top up geldings every week and mares when necessary. Will be keeping them on it in future.

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
I use it for 2 of my horses . . . a very wet dirty one and a youngster who kicks his muck all around the stable !!
It gives a nice dry warm bed which does not move under their feet.
It's the best bedding i'v found for my filthy mare and i can just skim the top off the whole bed each day on the 'untidy' youngster without losing too much bedding . . . it's also very cheap.
I don't mix my wet in with the dry but i do deep litter until any wet comes to the surface then I take out that wet patch.
I'm told it can get dusty in warm weather but mine live out during the summer so ok for me.
Hope that helps
smile.gif

pollypt

Visit site
Ive been using the Liverpool wood pelelts too, and it is so much better than shavings, its easier to store, easier to use and cheaper, my bedding costs have more than halved.