Wood pellet bedding

KautoStar1

Visit site
Currently using White Horse Energy Platinum Plus which I have been getting from Pets at Home. However supply is short and at the moment they are out of stock and finding someone local is not so easy. So just wondering if anyone has used the Pets at Home own label wood pellets - big green bag, sold as cat litter.

BOWS28

Visit site
I order mine from White Horse energy directly. The prices have gone up but they still have stock. I cant comment on Pets at Home own brand unfortunately!

KautoStar1

Visit site
I order mine from White Horse energy directly. The prices have gone up but they still have stock. I cant comment on Pets at Home own brand unfortunately!

I cant afford a full pallet at a time, or have anywhere to store it.

It just got me thinking, they must get it from one of the pellet manufacturers in the UK.

White Horse are the best I've found so far, but getting hold of enough on a regular basis is a problem.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I haven’t used it but I did get one weighed at Pets at Home to do a price comparison with White horse pp (15kg) it weighed 16.8kg but as it’s based on volume (30 litres) rather than weight it could vary. It still worked out more expensive than a pallet of pp but if you’re buying it in smaller quantities from a retailer with a mark up then it could be more economical. It looks pretty much the same as pp and I use it for my cats.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Pets at Home wont tell me who the manufacturer is, except to say its a UK supplier.
The cost of White Horse at Pets at Home is actually not that much dearer than direct from WHE if you buy a full pallet. A full pallet at 65 bags works out at 5.23/bag but if you buy half a pallet of 32 bags it goes up to 6.56/bag. White horse PP at PaH is 5.99 a bag, as is their own brand. Unless buying direct from WHE, this is about as cheap as I've found, for any wood pellets. And I've paid considerably more and not been so impressed with the quality.

chaps89

Visit site
Most of the pellet companies deliver half pallets. It still gets delivered on a pallet so might not help if you're tight on space but might be more affordable than a whole pallet.
I have an interest free credit card that I buy a pallet load on, then at the end of each month I pay off the equivalent for the number of bags I've used. Appreciate that might not work but might be another option.

Sorry, just seen your response about half pallets not working out cheaper so feel free to ignore!

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Are these sold as pellets for burning? Are they the same as the ones used as bedding?? I tried pellets before and did not really get on with them. Ended up with a thin, sandy, muddy looking bed. But I need a cheaper alternative to shavings so am considering trying again.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
The bedding pellets are the same as for burning.... Look for the EN+A1 grade to be sure they are virgin whitewood, some pellets are made from recycled wood or contain woods other than pine and are not suitable.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Are these sold as pellets for burning? Are they the same as the ones used as bedding?? I tried pellets before and did not really get on with them. Ended up with a thin, sandy, muddy looking bed. But I need a cheaper alternative to shavings so am considering trying again.

I had this problem initially and then I realised I had over watered them and so they didn't soak up as well as I expected. So now I slosh a little water on each bag (less than half a bucket per bag) and then let the rest break down in the bed. The bed lasts a lot longer that way.

BOWS28

Visit site

I first had this when my horse was on full livery on wood pellets. I was getting so infuriated with the dark, ugly dusty bed!! So I paid for shavings...
She is now on DIY and is on wood pellets again. my bed is always huge, still almost white and I only add a bag a week!! She's a wet mare too. I swear by the stuff providing you use it properly!! I always aim to have some visible pellets in the bed to make sure its still as absorbent as possible! I wouldn't use any other pellets other than White Horse Platinum Plus!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I first had this when my horse was on full livery on wood pellets. I was getting so infuriated with the dark, ugly dusty bed!! So I paid for shavings...
She is now on DIY and is on wood pellets again. my bed is always huge, still almost white and I only add a bag a week!! She's a wet mare too. I swear by the stuff providing you use it properly!! I always aim to have some visible pellets in the bed to make sure its still as absorbent as possible! I wouldn't use any other pellets other than White Horse Platinum Plus!

Do you deep litter yours? I find I need two bags a week per horse but I do a thickish half bed on rubber matting. I’m trying to leave wet in for a few days within but the other one is a digger so I can’t do it with him. Beds are nice a dry and light though.

BOWS28

Visit site
Do you deep litter yours? I find I need two bags a week per horse but I do a thickish half bed on rubber matting. I’m trying to leave wet in for a few days within but the other one is a digger so I can’t do it with him. Beds are nice a dry and light though.

Nope I don't deep litter I maintain huge banks so bring down some of the banks when needed. I can't leave the wet in either as mine is also a digger lol. In the winter, I do tend to add two bags as she is in more and naturally she uses more bedding. Turnout is reducing as of today (weather has turned vile) so this may be the week of a bedding increase!! :rolleyes:

meleeka

Visit site
The bedding pellets are the same as for burning.... Look for the EN+A1 grade to be sure they are virgin whitewood, some pellets are made from recycled wood or contain woods other than pine and are not suitable.

I don’t think White Horse fuel pellets are the same anymore. The fuel ones aren’t as good imo, so I’ve stuck with the animal bedding ones (with the cat on the front).
Pets at Home wont tell me who the manufacturer is, except to say its a UK supplier.
The cost of White Horse at Pets at Home is actually not that much dearer than direct from WHE if you buy a full pallet. A full pallet at 65 bags works out at 5.23/bag but if you buy half a pallet of 32 bags it goes up to 6.56/bag. White horse PP at PaH is 5.99 a bag, as is their own brand. Unless buying direct from WHE, this is about as cheap as I've found, for any wood pellets. And I've paid considerably more and not been so impressed with the quality.

Are you comparing the fuel pellets or the animal ones? When I checked Pets at Home were cheaper than White Horse Energy for the Platinum Plus with the cat on the front of the bag.

KautoStar1

Visit site
I don’t think White Horse fuel pellets are the same anymore. The fuel ones aren’t as good imo, so I’ve stuck with the animal bedding ones (with the cat on the front).

Are you comparing the fuel pellets or the animal ones? When I checked Pets at Home were cheaper than White Horse Energy for the Platinum Plus with the cat on the front of the bag.

They are both the same at Pets at Home - £5.99 / 30l bag. Its cheaper from WHE per bag but only if you buy a full pallet. Anything less than a full pallet and the cost per bag is over £6.

My query is, are the Pets at Home wood pellets (for cat litter) suitable as horse bedding. My guess is yes. But are they as good as WHE.

meleeka

Visit site
My query is, are the Pets at Home wood pellets (for cat litter) suitable as horse bedding. My guess is yes. But are they as good as WHE.

When I looked they were slightly darker so either not WHE all or they are the fuel type. WHE have made things very confusing as they have https://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/wood-pellets/platinum-plus-pellets and also http://www.whitehorsebedding.co.uk/...MIkLiAlL_53gIV4ZXtCh2L2gubEAQYAiABEgLhYPD_BwE

There was a thread here a few weeks ago and they aren’t the same bedding. The Platinum Plus is now darker and less absorbent. If you are only using a few bags why not try the PAH ones and see what you think?

eggs

Visit site
I switched from Platinum Plus with the last price increase and having read the comments am glad that I did. I am now using Pure or Sparklets and am pleased with both.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
When I looked they were slightly darker so either not WHE all or they are the fuel type. WHE have made things very confusing as they have https://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/wood-pellets/platinum-plus-pellets and also http://www.whitehorsebedding.co.uk/...MIkLiAlL_53gIV4ZXtCh2L2gubEAQYAiABEgLhYPD_BwE

There was a thread here a few weeks ago and they aren’t the same bedding. The Platinum Plus is now darker and less absorbent. If you are only using a few bags why not try the PAH ones and see what you think?

It’s very slightly darker and just absorbent. I’m still very pleased with them. They are also cheaper if you buy in bulk. I ordered mine at the summer price of £280 a pallet and bought two to hopefully last until next years summer price. I can’t see the prices going back down much due to demand and Brexit though.

Quadro

Visit site
Timber prices are at an all time high just now so it will keep going up. We supply the timber to bedmaxx, so buy the shavings at cost price and they have gone up a good bit

C1airey

Visit site
When my elderly cat died, I have a couple of bags of wood pellet cat litter left over. It went in the stable and I can’t say I noticed much difference. I use the pellets raw, beneath shavings.

KautoStar1

Visit site

I think the price difference could be attributed to the fact that pellets sold as bedding has VAT added. Fuel pellets don't (or its only 5%). Also speaking to a pellet manufacturer yesterday, bedding pellets have less starch in them than fuel pellets. starch helps with burn time.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Argh. Only just seen this! YES! I'm using the Pets At Home cat litter. I've found it fab with my horrible wet mare. Actually think it was slightly better than the platinum plus in some ways. Perhaps not quite at white in colour but really not much difference and seems to produce a slightly drier bed, but again marginal. I made the bed initially from platinum plus but they'd run out and, severely lacking in options up here, I got a couple of bags of the cat litter and it was fine. Good in fact. The staff at pets at home here are saying that they are selling more of the own brand for horse bedding than the platinum plus now... so others have switched... and they've got stacks and stacks in stock which backs up what they are saying about the high sales.

So it's a YES from me. 😂

PapaverFollis

Visit site
And I'm not even sure about the colour. Given the disgusting nature of the mare I don't place much value on a white bed... if I did I'd go mad or bankrupt in a matter of days.

Annagain

Visit site
I find the bigger the bed the better. My boy is quite wet and I have to remove the wet every day but if I let the bed get too thin, the wet spreads much further through the bed and I end up having to take more out. I'm lucky that he doesn't poo in his bed so I add one bag a week (dry for maximum absorption) whether it appears to need it or not so that it stays a nice full bed.

SEL

Visit site
And I'm not even sure about the colour. Given the disgusting nature of the mare I don't place much value on a white bed... if I did I'd go mad or bankrupt in a matter of days.
This made me giggle. I've got my mare on Easibed and its a cracking shade of green now. They posted a video on their FB page of how their bedding works this weekend and I could have cried in frustration. Apparently they are supposed to poo ON TOP of the bed, so you can neatly flick it into the wheelbarrow in the morning. Mine has a great method of burying her poo and mashing it up so fine its impossible to remove.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Just to add, I use to buy pallets from white horse energy. Worked out £3.99 or something a bag. They come with a white bag type of cover I just put it over the pallet so you don't need special storage just somewhere to put a pallet, doesn't matter if it gets wet as even if it goes through the pellets are usually better when a bit damp (I found!). Its was about £250 ish a pallet with free delivery a few years ago and I use to get a 10% discount code (look on Facebook someone will have one still). £5.99 a bag is a lot but not sure how many kg that will be if its 30 litres.

I did try jollys cat litter once and it was to dark and didn't last as long, so kept to white horse.

Just looked and white horse energy works out about £4.50 a bag, 65 bags £295. You'd save approx £94 per 65 bags, if its 15kg in the pets at home bags.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
This made me giggle. I've got my mare on Easibed and its a cracking shade of green now. They posted a video on their FB page of how their bedding works this weekend and I could have cried in frustration. Apparently they are supposed to poo ON TOP of the bed, so you can neatly flick it into the wheelbarrow in the morning. Mine has a great method of burying her poo and mashing it up so fine its impossible to remove.

😂 Granny horse uses Easibed as directed, like a good horse. It works really well for her, they've been in 2 months and the bed is still lovely, clean, dry and fresh smelling. The Beast, on Easibed, just trashed the place! It looked like she'd had a party with all her friends coming over and drinking too much. She's so much better on the cat litter but still not in the snowy white bed category.