Wood pellet prices!

teacups

Visit site
I have just looked them up and cannot see any cardboard on their bedding lists, they do however deliver to my postcode.

You’re right - just looked & there is paper bedding but not cardboard. It’s either disappeared or more likely my rubbish memory. He seemed keen to add more things customers might be interested in so might be worth getting in touch anyway.

teacups

Visit site
You’re right - just looked & there is paper bedding but not cardboard. It’s either disappeared or more likely my rubbish memory. He seemed keen to add more things customers might be interested in so might be worth getting in touch anyway.

For rabatsa: was just looking on their site to put in another order, and noticed they do now have cardboard bedding.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Just had an order of Snowflake wood pellet bedding from Naylor's Equestrian at £7.50 per 30 litre bag.
The Range and Home Bargains sell wood pellet cat litter at a similar price, although getting hold of it in quantity can be an issue.
The manufacturer of Snowflake wood pellets is around ten miles away from me, yet they will only sell through stockists. Frustrating.

leflynn

Visit site
Mole valley do 15kg bags of heating wood pellets for £5.34 a bag (pallets are around £4.95 a bag), I've been using them instead of horse ones and they've been just as good tbh

Auslander

Visit site
I've just switched to miscanthus pellets, and so far, very pleased with them. Had straw pellets for a bit, but I couldn't stand how the beds looked!
Miscanthus pellets not that dissimilar to wood pellets in term of colour
292736880_401548642000501_1435999895689441574_n.jpg

nutjob

Visit site
Mole valley do 15kg bags of heating wood pellets for £5.34 a bag (pallets are around £4.95 a bag), I've been using them instead of horse ones and they've been just as good tbh
The products are the same but you are supposed to pay a higher rate of vat for horse bedding than if you are using them for fuel.

Birker2020

Visit site
I've bought some wood pellet cat litter from Aldi at the weekend, I think it was around £3.30 ish for 10L. I am going to put it down dry and see how effective it is.

According to the website they will only let you have a maximum of two per purchase. I have no idea how heavy 10L is in weight or how it compares.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same product. I bought a few ages ago from wilko and a 15L bag was about 10kg so I think about 2/3rds. 2 x 10L wouldn't last very long.
We are putting down a bag of pellets and they are lasting about a fortnight with a good layer of shavings on top, two bags of pellets last us a good 3 weeks. These are normal horsey pellets, not cat ones as we've not tried them yet.

I think the secret of pellets is not to put them down too thickly if you are using shavings.

Annagain

Visit site
I've just switched to miscanthus pellets, and so far, very pleased with them. Had straw pellets for a bit, but I couldn't stand how the beds looked!
Miscanthus pellets not that dissimilar to wood pellets in term of colour
View attachment 95487
Did you mix it with the straw pellets, Aus? I'm reading one website and it recommends starting a bed with their straw pellets and then adding miscanthus pellets (although it doesn't explain why). On that site you can buy the miscanthus pellets on their own but can only buy the straw pellets 1/2 and 1/2 with the miscanthus, which I thought was a bit odd seeing as they seem to suggest you can use straw on its own but not the miscanthus on its own.

Auslander

Visit site
Did you mix it with the straw pellets, Aus? I'm reading one website and it recommends starting a bed with their straw pellets and then adding miscanthus pellets (although it doesn't explain why). On that site you can buy the miscanthus pellets on their own but can only buy the straw pellets 1/2 and 1/2 with the miscanthus, which I thought was a bit odd seeing as they seem to suggest you can use straw on its own but not the miscanthus on its own.
I just used the miscanthus, and can't imagine why they'd recommend using both! It's fine on its own

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I'm using snowflake and they've gone up from £6.80 to £7.

I've tried others which were cheaper but didn't go as far so worked out much more expensive. I was adding 3.5 bags a week in winter instead of 2.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Sorry if I've missed the point but I've just looked at straw pellets and they are £390 a pallet (Concord) or £430 ish (Strawmax) - isn't this more expensive than the wood pellets even after the recent increase?

All pallets seem to be around the 1 tonne mark

Wood pellets used to be £260 a tonne ??

Polos Mum

Visit site
Yes but not any more! Wood pellets are now more than £400 a tonne if you want them delivered. If you know where to get them cheaper please post.

No sadly not - but most of this thread was suggesting straw pellets as an alternative to wood pellets following the increase.
But as far as i can see the cost is pretty much the same - so no saving if I swap to a product I've never tried before....................

Cheapest I can find is still White Horse which is £419 delivered (they are sneakily doing a 50 bag pallet for £330 - but obviously that's not comparable).

nutjob

Visit site
At the end of the winter they were out of stock at a lot of places so some people would be forced to look for alternatives at least in the short term. WH used to send me links to pre order for 6 weeks in advance. I am still undecided what to do. Mine are out most of the time atm but I need to get organised before winter when I think prices will go up again rather than down :(.