Wood pellets

georgie256

Visit site
Hi, I was wondering where some of you get your wood pellets from, for those that use them?
How much per bag and what kg is the bag?
I'm on the essex/Suffolk border.

Thanks in advance.

Spyda

Visit site
I get mine from Whitehorse online.

They sell wood fuel pellets (5% VAT) and the horse bedding version (20% VAT) and both come with free mainland delivery. I use the Verdo ones which come in 10kg bags, and 96 to a pallet. They supply 1/4 and 1/4 pallet loads. For a pallet load costs are between £2.58/10kg (or = equivalent to £3.88/15kg) to £2.95/10kg (or = equivalent of £4.33/15kg) depending on what VAT rate you have to pay, 5% or 20%.

Clippy

Visit site
I'm really lucky, my local mobile feed merchant drops them off for me, £2.50 per 15kg bag if I spend £100 so i'm all stocked up for winter :D

Milkmaid

Visit site
At the moment from Five Star Bedding as their economy are Verdo but cheaper than from anywhere else, including Verdo direct (a shocking £290 a pallet whether for burning or bedding!)

If you buy them for fuel then they work out at £3.57 per 15kg bag. (£232.33/65 bag pallet @ 5%) but the most recent email said that the price could only be held til October 31st and then prices would have to go up!?!

I also use their premium on one of my particularly soggy ponies as he was getting through cheaper pellets at an alarming rate!

Tarbs

Visit site
I recently changed from straw to pellets and ordered from Blue Ribbon. Got 35 15kg bags for £147 (free delivery). Used 12 bags to make a bed in a 12x12 stable and am adding a bag & a half a week. I couldn't be happier. It's easy to clean and my hubby hasn't moaned that I smell of horse wee since I've switched to pellets!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My bed has gone quite dark looking, is this normal?
Am using verdo from White Horse. I remove the worst wet and mix the rest (as much of my wet is a leaky stable rather te wee)

Milkmaid

Visit site
Verdo pellets do go quite dark quite quickly. They start off quite dark compared to some & I think it`s the darker wood they use that makes them less absorbant but slightly better on stink control!

Liostro

Visit site
Quote de Liostro
Liverpool Wood Pellets £232 for a tonne. Great value for money and excellent to muck out!!!!
What code did you use to get this price? The cheapest I can get it down to is £240.10 :-/

Give them a call and expect they will match £232 for you xx

Spyda

Visit site
Verdo pellets do go quite dark quite quickly. They start off quite dark compared to some & I think it`s the darker wood they use that makes them less absorbant but slightly better on stink control!

I agree. Verdo pellet bed is relatively dark, but IMO this doesn't impact on performance (wee control!) and the reduction in post muck-out smell is fabulous! Personally, as long as my bed is clean and fresh, I don't care what colour it is. Nice as a pristine, white shavings' bed may be, it never stays that way without endless hours picking through with a rubber glove. I prefer my 5-10 mins/day spent skipping out pellets with my new wood pellet fork. :D

Milkmaid

Visit site
I tested against a lighter, premium pellet and Verdo were definately less asbsorbant. I used twice as much! But they suit my stinky not too wet cob just fine :)

Milkmaid

Visit site
All the time I can get them for £230 ish a pallet I will stick with but I certainly don't think they are worth the extra £££ they are apparently going up to/have gone up to when there are so many other comparable pellets on the market cheaper?! Madness! I will stick with my ' premium' pellet for my wet boy (i consider Verdo an economy pellet) although more expensive it works out cheaper as he's VILE!

jrp204

Visit site
Slighly highjacking. Our girl is on box rest for poss another 3 months, she is on rubber matting with a corner of miscanthus which is banked up during the day. Would there be any benefit to switching to pellets? A bag of miscanthus lasts about 7-8 days.

Spyda

Visit site
I tested against a lighter, premium pellet and Verdo were definately less asbsorbant. I used twice as much! But they suit my stinky not too wet cob just fine :)

Soooo.... do the lighter premium pellets you tested (which are more absorbent than Verdo ones) make you smell more than the Verdo ones would during mucking out?

Curious as I have a pallet load of Verdo to use up, but my mare is very wet when in more during the winter so I could be tempted to try another brand were helpful in that regard. HOWEVER, I don't want to go back to smelling of wee all the time. :)

Spyda

Visit site
Sorry to sound really dull here, but I have a deep litter shavings bed at the moment - can I put wood pellets on top of this or is that just a stupid idea?

Well, if you wanted to switch but didn't want to take out your clean shavings bed and waste it, you can integrate both types during the transitional period.

Milkmaid

Visit site
Soooo.... do the lighter premium pellets you tested (which are more absorbent than Verdo ones) make you smell more than the Verdo ones would during mucking out?

Curious as I have a pallet load of Verdo to use up, but my mare is very wet when in more during the winter so I could be tempted to try another brand were helpful in that regard. HOWEVER, I don't want to go back to smelling of wee all the time. :)

No, not at all. I never want to go back to smelling of wee! If the pellets do smell a bit (but nowhere near as much as any other bedding i`ve ever tried!) I just 'de stink' them with a sprinkling of Green Gloop solution and they smell fresh as a daisy again :)

WHWIndie

New User
Visit site
I've just had a pallet load of Verdo delivered from White Horse Energy. Not had the chance to try them yet but they did give me a 5% discount code which I could give to friends.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I will send you the code.