Wood Pellets

Chestnut mare

Visit site
I’ve just switched over to wood pellets after 18 years of shavings!

The reason for the change was to save mucking out time! The horses are usually in overnight November-March/April time. I deep litter the bed.

Anyway, I’m removing the poo (I’ve used a shavings fork and tried with gloves too) but where she walks around and breaks up the poo there are thousends and thousends of tiny, tiny pieces of poo in the bed! I hate it so far which I am disappointed about as everyone raves about the pellets!

Am I doing something wrong? She’s been in there a week so far.

Bays&Greys

Visit site
I have the same issue, I think you can buy wood pellet forks which are supposed to help?

I'm trying to not be too OCD about it as finding pellets so good in every other way.

elliejhb

Visit site
I use a Fynalite shavings fork, it has it's teeth a lot closer than other shaving forks. I drag it across the top of the bed (teeth down) once all large poos picked up to collect all the small bits together.

Nasicus

Visit site
I was like that when I was using pellets, very finicky about getting all the little bits out! At first I was just putting a glove on and picking them out, but eventually once it started to bed in and develop a base, I was just flicking the loose stuff at the wall and gathering what collected at the bottom of the small banks.

mariew

Visit site
I used to every now and then go through the bed thoroughly and flick against the wall and collect the bits that fell down. when i didn't have time you get very good at ignoring the darker shades of bedding :) Not sure i'd bed on anything different now unless i had a horse where it really didn't work.