Wood pellets

xTrooperx

Visit site
Probably already been asked, I’m looking into trying these. How many would be advised to use to start a decent bed on concrete? Most ppl I see have matting, I did think about getting some but the thought of urine going under and having to man handle out/clean etc..feels me with dread I’m to old for that lol.
do I treat as shaving and do banks? .

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I find the most economical way of using them is to put a bag down where he pees, and then bed up with shavings as usual. Change the pee patch when the wet comes to the top, usually in about a week. If you want to use pellets on their own, you are probably looking at six plus bags to start off with, and give them a light spray with water to start the absorbency off and stop them rolling underfoot.

Cloball

Visit site
I deep litter a full bed on concrete, I like it as it forms a nice stable bed to deep litter. I think I used 10-12 bags initially and damped them down to form a base and then I top up with 1-2 bags a week (not wetted). I take out any wet that comes to the surface so it's always dry on top and the bed barely moves unlike (imo) shavings. It's also very absorbent more so than shavings. It does look very like pony nuts though my YO thought pony might eat it but I can't be very palletable as she's never tried.
I hate mats as a general rule 😎

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I deep litter on concrete and just have mats at the front where he stands to eat.

You're meant to put one bucket of water in each bag of pellets, let it swell then spread around but I put about half a bucket in.

I have shavings on top but not the absorbant ones. I use laysoft. They let all the wet through to the pellets and ensure a dry top layer. The pellets give a good solid base underneath hence no need for mats. I think my pellets base is usually at least 2" thick. The laysoft are included in my livery cost. If they weren't I'd probably use pellets alone.

Mucking out is very quick each day. I do a dig out of the wettest bit every 3 weeks or so but I can also just spread a load of dry pellets on top if I need to top up.

Wetting the pellets in a wheelbarrow (like they do in the adverts) has never worked for me, I always end up with water and sand at the bottom and unsoaked pellets at the top!

Reactions: SEL

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I just use them on wee spots then really deep shavings on top and I only use mats at the front, they are brilliant because mine mainly live out so I sometimes don't take any wet out for weeks.

Carrottom

Visit site
When I used them on mats nothing soaked through under the mats. I used about 6 bags to start, lightly damped. Then 1 to 2 bags a week. Removed the wet patch every day, always put old bed over new to stop pellets sticking to droppings.