Woof Wear Exo Body Protector

HarrietW

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone, I was looking at the posts about the tragic accident at the weekend, where Sherelle Duke lost her life. What a terrible terrible thing I my heart felt sympathys go out to all who knew her. Obviously such a talented rider. What a tragic loss to the world.

I know a couple of u mentioned the new back protector from woof and questioned whether it worked. Well I know a little bit about it as I know a girl who rides in the Exo body protector and she swears she now wouldnt ride XC without it. She said that when she bought it the people told her that the weight of a horse has been dropped on it from a height of about 20/30 feet and nothing happens. it is amazing. it is made of magnesium so is relatively light and designed so that when you wear it the weight is ditributed evenly throughtout the body as it is carried on internal straps. Basically the principle is that it is designed to protect you from crush injuries and if the horse does land on the and manages to destroy the cage, that will act as your ribs etc and take the impact. she said it is really easy to ride in once you try it out a couple of times and that she would never ride in anything else now. personally i think that every attempt should be made to keep you as safe as possible and it is worth it. im sure if you asked her she would agree.

Anyway just thought i would let you know those thoughts...
Harriet

HarrietW

New User
Visit site
Oh yea i thought id just add, its really funny becoz u can stand on her while she is wearing it and she feels nothing at all!!!

Suzy

Visit site
Thanks. I was interested to read this as I tried one on and found it pretty uncomfortable, but wondered if it would be ok to ride in.

wodger_woo

Visit site
Hmmm I tried one on and it felt VERY weird, but then I remember the first time I wore a body protector I felt like I couldn't breathe. The problem is they are terribly over priced and (I hate to say this) until a few top riders start to wear them they will not become popular.

I agree that they probably do prevent a large amount of crush injuries to the chest. However crush injuries to the pelvis are just as life threatening (2 weeks ago I watched an 18 year old motorcyclist with a horrific pelvis injury bleed to death in front of me despite the best hospital care) and lets not forget the danger of damaging vertebrae in the neck.
My H is a trauma and orthopaedics surgeon and as of yet his verdict is still out on them.

nicoleamy

Visit site
Aleka81-Harriet said that she had seen a couple of people ask about in another post so that is the point of her post, to fill people in on what she knows about it!!!

I know they are expensive...but can u put a price on a life?? what if it was to save you... (i understand there are other injurues too) but it would be worth it dont u think?

tigers_eye

Visit site
Thanks for that! I was thinking about it so much when I went to bed last night I was actually going to ring their marketing department and ask about the tests they had run on it and so on. Also to WW, for pointing out the other risks, obviously a surgeon like her H knows so much more than we ever will.

As Nicoleamy says, what price a life? Yes, we will never be able to protect ourselves completely from injury across country, short of not doing it, but I do think it's a brilliant idea. I will definately try one next time I see it.

Another point - I wonder why they used magnesium? I thought Titanium was the "in" lightweight, very strong metal to use these days? Hence why joint replacements and so on use it. I really do think this is a fascinating subject, it will be interesting to see which other manufacturers go down this route.

katiejaye

Visit site
I tried one of these on a few days ago and it is interesting. It's build like a metal cage and completely encases your body. I think in theory it seems like a great idea but I did find it a little incomfortable and weighs about 8 pounds. However, if it is proven to save lives and prevent injuries then a little discomfort is a small price to pay...I would seriously consider one of these when I start doing more eventing.

Emily99

Visit site
My YO tried one for H&R's tried on tested. She needed help to put it on and clip it into place as it was quite fiddly. She said to begin with it felt really bulky and strange but as she got used to it it was ok.
I think the idea is good, but could possibly be developed a bit more as she found it restricted her jumping a bit.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
v interesting posts, wonder what you all think of this idea:
recently looked in to protection for motorcyclists and found a great idea called an air vest (seems quite new and only made in far east at the moment i think), it basically fits like a waist coat over your other clothes and has a string that you clip to the motorbike, on becoming detached from the motorbike the vest inflates just like a car airbag, in a split second. it contains canisters that can be replaced as necessary and also has a neck protector on it. the stats looked impressive and i am thinking that it would also be ideal for riding in. What do you think??

SpruceRI

Visit site
Can you imagine how the horse would react? You're half way falling off, the gas canister pops and the vest inflates. The horse thinks a bomb has gone off beside it and kicks you to death

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that! I was thinking about it so much when I went to bed last night I was actually going to ring their marketing department and ask about the tests they had run on it and so on. Also to WW, for pointing out the other risks, obviously a surgeon like her H knows so much more than we ever will.

As Nicoleamy says, what price a life? Yes, we will never be able to protect ourselves completely from injury across country, short of not doing it, but I do think it's a brilliant idea. I will definately try one next time I see it.

Another point - I wonder why they used magnesium? I thought Titanium was the "in" lightweight, very strong metal to use these days? Hence why joint replacements and so on use it. I really do think this is a fascinating subject, it will be interesting to see which other manufacturers go down this route.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the sales manager of woof and my daughter Alex tried one on at the Beta show in feb.

The reason why they use magnesium is because of its flexible properties. The frame is encased in foam, but they didn't want a material which would splinter and puncture the riders torso when the horse went over them.

Magnesium is a very expensive metal, and its choice was done for safety , not weight.