work after colic

_daisy_

Visit site
How long would you leave your horse after a colic attack before you started them back into work?

My youngster had an attack on Wednesday this week, started as tympanic then spasmodic. She pulled round Wednesday late afternoon and her bloating has since subsided today. She is currently being stabled with plenty of fibre but not enough that she can gorge herself, small amounts of turnout so that the other horses cant charge her around (this will be increased over the weekend till we are back to her living out 24/7), and she is back to her normal self.

Now I was due to start ridden work with her when my arena was built (work starts a week on Monday and will take 2 weeks) but was going to start taking her out on lead from her mum before that date.

Ive never had a horse suffer from colic, so this is why im querying how long she should need before I can take her out for walks - they will be gentle to begin with anyway.

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
I generally give my boy a couple of days off after an attack as long as it wasn't too severe. With the really bad attacks, he has had 4 to 5 days to recover, unless my vet has advised me to leave it longer. I always start off with gentle exercise i.e. 15 minutes of walking the first day and then build up from there as long as he is comfortable to do it.

I should think your girl will be o.k. walking out, if you are worried just give your vet a quick ring.