Work and horses!

lizfh

Visit site
How do you cope with a full time job and having horses?

The most difficult time for me is if they are injured. For example this week I went out to bring them in at 6.30am and one have got caught in a fence and badly cut both back legs. As he was bleeding and in shock this meant a vets visit and there was no one else to wait at home with him. I had to call in a 'sicky' because the last time this happened and I told the truth my boss docked me a day's pay!

If I had children and one of them was ill and needed to be taken to a doctor that would be a different matter and the policy at work allows three days per year (if needed) to stay off with sick relatives.

There isn't anything I can do about this problem, but it would be nice to hear from others who may have found themselves in a similar situation. By the way I am a full time secondary school teacher so I know I get good holidays and can finish work quite early each day - but there is no flexibility.

harrihjc

Visit site
generally work are pretty good, but we do have flexi time so if I need to come in late I will just stay a bit later, and have been known to go off for a lunch at the stables when the farrier is there. They aren't overly impressed with not coming to work due to horse problems, but tough luck work, there's no way it comes before my animals welfare!

evsj

Visit site
I am doing OU as well as a full time job, looking after a horse and trying to get my prelim teaching certificate so I can be a teacher. maybe. one day.

I think it must be even more difficult if you keep your horses at home because you have no YO to help you. Lucky for me I keep mine at a friends house and she can do that sort of thing in an emergency but she also works + is very busy so hoping it never comes to that. I've only had 4 days sick in 2 years and all of those were 'skives'. I couldn't really keep a horse without the help of a friend or at least having her on part livery.

fairhill

Visit site
My mum is a teacher, so I understand how much harder it is for you guys
crazy.gif

We have our horses on a livery yard now where the owner is available to help out through the day.
I work flexi-time which means that I can have an afternoon off fortnightly for a riding lesson, can come into work late if necessary. I'm also able to work from home if I need to see the vet or hold them for the blacksmith.
I end up doing a lot for my mum's horse as it's so much easier for me to take the time off compared to her.

harrihjc

Visit site
just to add, there is nobody else at my yard, so either me or my mum have to be there to sort things out. I am also doing a degree as well as the full time job!

pottamus

Visit site
I am really really lucky in that I am self employed and so typically work from home 3 days per week on average, so I get to ride in the week too, I just get up really early and make the hours up that way!

cal2007

Visit site
I work full time but we have a flexi working system which is great for minor emergencies but when we had to dash of to Leahurst I had to take a days leave. I do find this unfair as I have no intentions of having children yet my colleagues all get to take paid time off when their "dependants" are ill. My horse is my dependant. Im on a DIY yard so most of the time Ive no help unless friends are off

samp

Visit site
I generally work 8 - 4pm however these can be flexible for vet treatments etc as because I work in horse industry they are more understanding etc

_OC_

Visit site
I am very lucky that my boss will let me and go and sort a horse problem out and he is not horsey just understands.....a few years back my TB mare that I owned then went over into stock fencing ,badly injured herself, and had to happen on a Saturday(which is a busy trading day) went at 11am only been in work a hour, my horse had to be operated on that night and all my manager only asked that I keep him posted got paid and had commision as well for that day.......it was a horrible day and would not want it repeated....but. if it did then in my present employment I'm lucky!

Eccles

Visit site
My boss thinks he's flexible but in reality he isn't. If I need to have time off I have to book it off as holiday, otherwise YO is around for routine stuff. Failing that, if there was an emergency I would take it off sick! No problem!

Folara

Visit site
It can be really difficult and sometimes you have to pull the odd 'sicky' when the neddies need you.

I used to work, go to uni, look after my 2 kids and the house and do my horses/dogs/cats. Was so tiring and when things went wrong it made life really difficult. Luckily I had a good support network of friends to help with the kids and neds and sometimes work or uni had to take back stage place.

I think its all part of owning horses and life and unless we are lucky enough not to have to work or win the lottery then its how it is for loads of us.

Judie

Visit site
My manager is very understanding, if I was to call in with a sick horse she would let me take the time off without a moments hesitation however I wouldn't expect not to take it as flex or annual leave, it's my hobby and my choice to have a horse, it should not impact on my work - I work for the local authority and don't expect tax payers to pay for me to be with my horse. I hear your point about mothers (I'm not one) but you can't leave a sick or injured child on it's own even if they are asleep or just watching the telly, you can however see to your horse, call the vet, do the necessary and leave him in his stable and go back to work.

lizfh

Visit site
I agree how important friends are - I have an excellent support network around me - but there are only so many times you can call and in emergencies it has to be the owner that makes the decisions.

evsj

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I do find this unfair as I have no intentions of having children yet my colleagues all get to take paid time off when their "dependants" are ill. My horse is my dependant. Im on a DIY yard so most of the time Ive no help unless friends are off

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally with you on this one.
frown.gif

suestowford

Visit site
I also work in a school & have no flexibility in my working hours. I am lucky to have some very good neighbours who will help out if they can at times like this. Of course, I return the favour in the holidays!

sarah07

Visit site
my boss to is not horsey i work 9 to 5.30 monday to friday and i am on DIY. Luckily my stables are only a 10min drive from work so can go there at lunch times if i need to. Also at christmas i got the call everyone dreads, my horse had had an accident and i had to go, my boss was great she let me go my horse was impaled on a fence post in the field and had to be taken to horsey hospital 2 days after the accident once she was considered ok to travel, i took 4 days off and expected not to be paid but when i got back my boss said she was going to pay me, needless to say after a £4k vets bill i was very grateful.

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
It is a struggle and can totally sympathise with having no flexibililty with teaching!

I am very lucky in that my mum can step in for me and fortunately my jobs means i can work from home if needed, i.e when expecting the farrier/vet I also have a lot of appointments out and about all the time, which can mean getting home earlier if i'm nearby, opposed to driving a further hour back to work!

If i had an emergency, i would just own up to my boss and go home/not come in, he wouldn't particularly like it, but i would offer it at holiday and i don't think he would actually make me take it!! Hopefully!

At the end of the day, if my work is done, which i always make sure it is (quite often i'm working at night/w'ends if i need to catch up) then my boss is happy!

magicchett

Visit site
i get assisted DIY so i dont have to do the whole 6:30 in the morning thing! so i see the girls in the evening - re injuries: the yard managers great and will always help if needed to do extra!

i think being at full time work makes you really appreciate it - and i love how it gives you something to look forward to everyday! It really chills me out in the evenings and I feel i woulndt be anywhere near as mentally healthy without them!

laugh.gif

charlyan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I do find this unfair as I have no intentions of having children yet my colleagues all get to take paid time off when their "dependants" are ill. My horse is my dependant. Im on a DIY yard so most of the time Ive no help unless friends are off

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the same boat- I have no-one else to help with my horse (OH will help with dogs & cats but won' go near horsey). I work in a dept of about 45 and the parents are constantly taking carer's leave (they're entitled to 9 paid days per year). i think it's really unfair that those of us without kids are not entitled to any additional leave. It's down to personal choice whether you choose to have kids or animals. As a result, those of us without children frequently have to cover for those with. Not saying that parents shouldn't be able to take time for their kids- they should, but it should be fair for all.