Work without stirrups - probably a silly question!

LFD

Visit site
I have vowed to improve my dressage (currently only prelim level) over the winter so have started to introduce some work without stirrups.

I have noticed that the quality of our canter greatly improves when I have no stirrups. My little TB is extremely on the forehand and runs into (and throughout) his canter. When working without stirrups last night I got him back, and even a little more up if that makes sense - why is this? Or is it just because it feels different to me with no stirrups??

Many thanks - and sorry if the answer is really obvious! any insight or help welcome :)

PorkChop

Visit site
It is because you are using your seat bones and core better :)

I love work with no stirrups - also try bareback, that really makes you use your core :)

be positive

Visit site
Without stirrups you will be sitting a little deeper, probably in a stronger position generally so this will enable to horse to carry itself better, it will be more obvious and beneficial in canter especially for a young horse that tends to be on it's forehand, keep going it will really help the canter improve as well as get your core strength built up.

LFD

Visit site
Ah - great, so it wasn't my imagination then.

I feel quite motivated now – more work without stirrups tonight then!

I’ll blame you guys when I can’t walk tomorrow ;-)

Thanks!

DirectorFury

Visit site
I'm doing No Stirrup November too, including jumping! Horse has discovered her medium trot since we've been doing no stirrup work, shame you can't go without in competition :p.

GlamourDol

Visit site
As overs have said its because you are using your seat and core. You probably also have your thigh on him too, when you have your stirrups, take your legs off the saddle so you are loosening your hip joints a bit and put your legs back down, if you have full seat breeches on, you want to imagine that the seam at the front is close to the saddle. When you are cantering, think about sticking you knicker elastic to the saddle this will help you to sit stiller too. ��