Working cocker spaniels

Moobli

Visit site
WCS people - what are the pros and cons of the breed please.

I am considering a smaller breed to go alongside my two shepherds at some point in the future, when prices hopefully come down a little, and quite fancy a spaniel of some kind. I like the look of working cockers, although do like some springers too. Due to space in vehicles, on the bed etc, a smaller cocker might be a better choice. I live in the countryside (on a shooting estate) but probably wouldn't want to work the dog other than for fun. I enjoy training and walking and spend much more time outdoors than inside. I was thinking along the lines of a working bred Labrador for a while but they aren't much smaller than the GSDs, hence me now looking at WCS. I do tend to toy with the idea of other breeds and adding dogs, but then for one reason or another go back to deciding to just stick with what I have ... but no harm in researching.

So, other things to look out for - what should they have in terms of health tests and are gamekeeper/working bred better than a pedigree full of field trials champions for example, although I know they aren't mutually exclusive. Any cute photos most welcome too obvs.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Get one, you won’t regret it! Personally I think they’re awesome little dogs. They’ve got a lot of energy and tend to be quite smart but I’ve never found them to be crazy and unmanageable like some people say.

You’d want at least one parent (even better both) health tested for Acral Mutilation Syndrome, Familial Nephropathy, and Progressive Retinal Atrophy. At least they’re the ones on the Kennel Club scheme. I don’t know much about the specifics of different lines, but my preference would be something KC registered because then you know the health tests will have been done etc.

I’ve got a million photos of mine, but here’s a recent one of my girl.

B43717D3-FB8D-4BF8-83BE-638864DD7AB5.jpeg
0666BD67-983E-4EE2-B38D-4C62197194CC.jpeg

druid

Visit site
Health testing wise the gold standard is: DNA for AMS, PRA, FN. Eye tests (current gonioscopy and eye cert), hip and elbow scores.

Don't buy a trialling dog if you don't want to trial/use it for dog sports. They're high octane and need a job. A dog bred for rough shooting or beating would be a better bet - likely to be steadier. If you live on an estate you'll have a time keeping the working drive under control in the face of game scent. Better to harness it and work the dog?

Moobli

Visit site
Get one, you won’t regret it! Personally I think they’re awesome little dogs. They’ve got a lot of energy and tend to be quite smart but I’ve never found them to be crazy and unmanageable like some people say.

You’d want at least one parent (even better both) health tested for Acral Mutilation Syndrome, Familial Nephropathy, and Progressive Retinal Atrophy. At least they’re the ones on the Kennel Club scheme. I don’t know much about the specifics of different lines, but my preference would be something KC registered because then you know the health tests will have been done etc.

I’ve got a million photos of mine, but here’s a recent one of my girl.

View attachment 70153
View attachment 70154
Oh she’s gorgeous ?. Thanks for the info! And encouragement ?

rextherobber

Visit site
Mine is a lovely dog, but tbh, wouldn't get another, he's REALLY clingy and a real wimp. ( I had a GSD and a Collie cross before this one.)Haven't had an issue keeping the working drive under control, (provided you say "NO". at the right time!) also live rurally, he doesn't clear off after the birds at will - largely because he cannot bear to be away from me for longer than a few seconds...

Moobli

Visit site
If you live on an estate you'll have a time keeping the working drive under control in the face of game scent. Better to harness it and work the dog?

Thanks for the health info, very useful.
Your last paragraph is spot on actually! Definitely something I need to have a think about. I often dissuade people from getting border collies unless they are going to work them so your point is very valid.

Mynstrel

Visit site
We have one, hubby wanted a change from border collies for agility. He's the naughtiest pup I've ever met but I'd have another tomorrow. He's loving, handsome, smart, happy, confident, has a working brain equal to a collie and is just a brilliant little chap to have around. We got him just before lockdown and soon found you can't be miserable with a wcs in the house.

He fits in well with our collies and gives really good snuggles. He's just ace! He's beater bred and he does have an off switch but does like having a job to do so I don't think he'd settle being "just" a pet. Well worth considering if you want a working brained dog that doesn't take up so much space.

Moobli

Visit site
Mine is a lovely dog, but tbh, wouldn't get another, he's REALLY clingy and a real wimp. ( I had a GSD and a Collie cross before this one.)Haven't had an issue keeping the working drive under control, (provided you say "NO". at the right time!) also live rurally, he doesn't clear off after the birds at will - largely because he cannot bear to be away from me for longer than a few seconds...
Thanks, always good to hear the possible cons as well as the pros. Do you know if his parents were clingy too, therefore it’s genetic to an extent? I need to do a lot of research into different lines before taking the plunge. Is yours from a breeder who works their dogs?

Moobli

Visit site
We have one, hubby wanted a change from border collies for agility. He's the naughtiest pup I've ever met but I'd have another tomorrow. He's loving, handsome, smart, happy, confident, has a working brain equal to a collie and is just a brilliant little chap to have around. We got him just before lockdown and soon found you can't be miserable with a wcs in the house.

He fits in well with our collies and gives really good snuggles. He's just ace! He's beater bred and he does have an off switch but does like having a job to do so I don't think he'd settle being "just" a pet. Well worth considering if you want a working brained dog that doesn't take up so much space.
Thanks so much. Any photos? He sounds a cracker.

Moobli

Visit site
I groom a lot of them and my friend has one. Gorgeous dogs, but I do find the red working cockers to be exceptionally clingy and quite fearful of things.
Beautiful loyal dogs though.
Thank you. The reds are gorgeous to look at but I’ll certainly bear that in mind. I think I’d like a black one if I do get one.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve got one that I rehomed from a working kennels aged 5. So I’m not sure how much of her personality/behaviour is down to genetics and how much her upbringing (she is far to soft for kennels!).

She is anxious, needy, a complete drama queen. But unbelievably sweet, cuddly, loyal. Not a bad bone in her body. Been better since I’ve been on a fitness drive and walking miles a day, less ‘me me me’ in the house.

Really easy 95% of the time but she has an unbelievably strong hunting drive for pheasant - if there are pheasant around then I have to get her back on the lead, or the red mist comes down and my obedient dog disappears out the window!

She is the perfect size for my small cottage. But is quite feathered and low to the ground and gets very muddy, covered in thorns etc! This was fine when clipped but she has now decided the clippers are going to kill her so that’s now not an option ?

If you had asked me a year ago, would I get another, it would have been a definite no. But she is growing on me.

vhf

Visit site
Ours is possibly a half-and-half but was sold as a puppy (rescued parents) as working bred, and Mum has a working pedigree. Perfect dog for an active rural household. Ours is over-indulged but is busy, excitable, trainable and very loving - to anyone. Not naturally the bravest though.
FofDean.jpeg

Moobli

Visit site
I’ve got one that I rehomed from a working kennels aged 5. So I’m not sure how much of her personality/behaviour is down to genetics and how much her upbringing (she is far to soft for kennels!).

She is anxious, needy, a complete drama queen. But unbelievably sweet, cuddly, loyal. Not a bad bone in her body. Been better since I’ve been on a fitness drive and walking miles a day, less ‘me me me’ in the house.

Really easy 95% of the time but she has an unbelievably strong hunting drive for pheasant - if there are pheasant around then I have to get her back on the lead, or the red mist comes down and my obedient dog disappears out the window!

She is the perfect size for my small cottage. But is quite feathered and low to the ground and gets very muddy, covered in thorns etc! This was fine when clipped but she has now decided the clippers are going to kill her so that’s now not an option ?

If you had asked me a year ago, would I get another, it would have been a definite no. But she is growing on me.

There does seem to be a theme from people I have spoken to about how needy they can be, and quite a few seem to have resource guarding issues too. Lots of food for thought, so thank you.

Michen

Visit site
I have a very small springer, papered and registered but is cocker sized.

She's superb. So obedient, willing, biddable. Massively strong hunting drive so has had a lot of training to work.

Can be a little nervous in some situations but she's not remotely clingy or needy, I don't even know she's in the house all day when I'm working.

Moobli

Visit site
I have a very small springer, papered and registered but is cocker sized.

She's superb. So obedient, willing, biddable. Massively strong hunting drive so has had a lot of training to work.

Can be a little nervous in some situations but she's not remotely clingy or needy, I don't even know she's in the house all day when I'm working.

From what I have seen of your wee springer Michen, she is very lovely.

rara007

Visit site
We also have a 12kg springer, she’s fab and although pretty nervy super kind and easy to do as much or as little as you want with.
I think both cockers and springers are a very varied breed tbh, my larger springer is almost chalk and cheese to her.

Callieann

Visit site
I've got two at the moment. We've only ever had working cockers. They are very loving, faithful dogs but they do need something to do as they have very busy minds. We do train ours as working dogs but keep them in house as part of the family. 2019-05-01 21.44.06.jpg

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I met a red, about a year old, on Saturday and he was brilliant, happy to sit in the open back of the customer's car for hours on end, jolly and cheerful and all round a nice chap, and pretty easy. Definitely not clingy. She hadn't seen him quite so keen to run alongside the horse, and we did have a moment or two, but she'll sort that.

Karran

Visit site
I ADORE Mrs Spaniel. She's clingy, neurotic, one of life's worriers, but she's also cheerful, quick and loves to learn, always busy but also very keen on sofa cuddles. I can't ever raise my voice to her or she completely falls apart in a quivering wreck thinking her world is about to cave in.
She hacks out with my part loan, does agility and flyball. She knows when i'm working and to stay out of the way and was happy to be left all day when I was in the office commuting to London (mainly because she flatly refuses to leave the house when i'm not there). She's great with kids and other people. Completely dog neutral, i've very rarely heard a grumble out of her. She's not Resource Guardy at all. Rabbits and Pheasants are very exciting but in London we don't see many of those on the loose! 167953841_10165240890465051_2486323903480903451_n.jpg169056976_10165240895895051_5384258718624863410_n.jpg
She's seven now and I cannot imagine life without her!

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
B02CE1CC-A99A-440C-A38E-8E2B06D502AE.jpeg02ECAE4E-BBB4-4672-B2F2-CF4771D0966F.jpegI have a WCS, 14mth old, she definitely didn’t get the nervous spaniel memo-I have yet to find anything that phases her. She is very smart and keen to please, although as others have said her weak spot is pheasant / partridge. We live on the edge of a shooting estate and I still don’t trust her not to chase - although she did a lovely loose lead walk today as a pheasant did a mad road runner sprint almost the entire length of the footpath about 10m ahead of us today ?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Poor Mabel doesn’t really count as she’s one of those dreaded poo crosses but personality wise she’s spaniel through and through. FD96B174-1EF7-43E6-9803-3FE911D8BD01.jpeg
So so loyal, so clever, loving, a real people person but also brilliant with dogs, cats, horses etc. She is quite clingy though but then we got her a few months before covid so don’t know how much that has impacted her. And she lives to retrieve! Obsessed with bringing back the best stick she can find and showing it off.

OH would like to have a litter from Mabel and keep a pup but I want a full cocker as our second dog. I love them.

Moobli

Visit site
I ADORE Mrs Spaniel. She's clingy, neurotic, one of life's worriers, but she's also cheerful, quick and loves to learn, always busy but also very keen on sofa cuddles. I can't ever raise my voice to her or she completely falls apart in a quivering wreck thinking her world is about to cave in.
She hacks out with my part loan, does agility and flyball. She knows when i'm working and to stay out of the way and was happy to be left all day when I was in the office commuting to London (mainly because she flatly refuses to leave the house when i'm not there). She's great with kids and other people. Completely dog neutral, i've very rarely heard a grumble out of her. She's not Resource Guardy at all. Rabbits and Pheasants are very exciting but in London we don't see many of those on the loose! View attachment 70234View attachment 70235
She's seven now and I cannot imagine life without her!
Beautiful ... and that first photo is brilliant!

Moobli

Visit site
View attachment 70240View attachment 70241I have a WCS, 14mth old, she definitely didn’t get the nervous spaniel memo-I have yet to find anything that phases her. She is very smart and keen to please, although as others have said her weak spot is pheasant / partridge. We live on the edge of a shooting estate and I still don’t trust her not to chase - although she did a lovely loose lead walk today as a pheasant did a mad road runner sprint almost the entire length of the footpath about 10m ahead of us today ?
Gorgeous! I’m starting to think that unless I intend to work a spaniel, I might be better off sticking to herding breeds. Lots to think about.