Working golden retrievers

Clodagh

Visit site
I’ve always had bitches. I got Scout as I needed a slightly older one and no one sells 6 month old girls. He’s been a revelation. He’s as thick as two short planks but so incredibly trainable, probably also his breeding. He is the most red type I’ve ever had as well yet is completely placid when off duty. He’s affectionate and a joy to own.

satinbaze

Visit site
The old gundog folks used to say you can train 3 labs or 2 goldens in the time it takes to train 1flatcoat however on a bad scenting day a flatcoat will beat them all. I think it’s horses for courses as they say.

blodwyn1

Visit site
Both my Goldie's were males and I trained them but didn't work them. If ah gate was left open they were off! Even when poor Rossi was on his last legs he got out our gate at home and was hobbling off up the hill! My red lab bitch has been a revelation she has no intention of leaving our sides even if a gate is open! She is a trained therapy dog though.

spacefaer

Visit site
Dogs "tend" to be slower maturing, both physically and mentally, and slower to train, but tend to be more straightforward.
Bitches are quicker in comparison - the drawback to them as working dogs is that they come into season, which can knock them out of work for up to a month.

J&T

Visit site
Apart from my current Golden all mine have been boys and on my first Girl now and all the boys have been more soppy and cuddly were my girl loves a cuddle but on her terms she is more independent than any of the boys I had.

My boys were more goofy too and I agree the above they were more straightforward.

None of my boys would stray away from me but that's likely because I trained them from an early age to stay by my side and they all knew not to stray to far and every single one came back when called.

I love my girl but miss having a boy but as I'm getting on now she'll be my last and the day I no longer have a Golden friend in my life is a day not worth living that's how much they have meant to me and how much each one has changed my life

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Both my Goldie's were males and I trained them but didn't work them. If ah gate was left open they were off! Even when poor Rossi was on his last legs he got out our gate at home and was hobbling off up the hill! My red lab bitch has been a revelation she has no intention of leaving our sides even if a gate is open! She is a trained therapy dog though.
We've had Labs who would leg it if they found a gate left open, Labs who would actively look for/make an exit and Labs who would never have dreamed of going off on their own.

Esmae

Visit site
I have a whippet like that..,.:rolleyes:

thommackintosh

Visit site
What a bonnie lad. We've got an 18mth old boy WGR, Ruaridh. He's been an absolute saint to train, always looking for a job, great around horses and has the all important off-switch. Just today I messaged his breeder to say whenever she plans a next litter to pop us on the wait list. They're kinda addictive.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1688680551530.jpg
    FB_IMG_1688680551530.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 34

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
What a bonnie lad. We've got an 18mth old boy WGR, Ruaridh. He's been an absolute saint to train, always looking for a job, great around horses and has the all important off-switch. Just today I messaged his breeder to say whenever she plans a next litter to pop us on the wait list. They're kinda addictive.
He looks and sounds lovely!

conniegirl

Visit site
Weve had a lot of goldies, we were a foster home for golden retriever rescue. Weve had working and show bred dogs and they were all lovely.

We never worked them but they are very trainable and forgiving which is a big advantage when it come to overcoming trauma.

Only one of the many dogs we have had has not been good with kids, he was the one goldie we failed with when it came to rehabbing. He was PTS and found to have a brain tumour which was likey causing the problems

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Weve had a lot of goldies, we were a foster home for golden retriever rescue. Weve had working and show bred dogs and they were all lovely.

We never worked them but they are very trainable and forgiving which is a big advantage when it come to overcoming trauma.

Only one of the many dogs we have had has not been good with kids, he was the one goldie we failed with when it came to rehabbing. He was PTS and found to have a brain tumour which was likey causing the problems
Aww what a shame for the one with a brain tumour. Good to hear they were all lovely 😁

oldandgold

Visit site
Gorgeous - have I missed a name for this boy?

I've currently got to goldens from working lines, one is nearly 15 and still going strong and an 18 month old and they have been so easy to train. The youngest is happy to carry
anything.

Looking forward to seeing your boy's progress

Belmont

Visit site
Don't intend on working ours, but we've been doing lots of training and he's like a sponge, gets everything so quickly. He's only 4 months but so obedient! Definitely more trainable than the spaniels I've had in the past!
Yours is utterly scrummy BRB!

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Gorgeous - have I missed a name for this boy?

I've currently got to goldens from working lines, one is nearly 15 and still going strong and an 18 month old and they have been so easy to train. The youngest is happy to carry
anything.

Looking forward to seeing your boy's progress
His name is Rafi, short for Rafiki (lion king) his big ‘brother’ is Zazu 😆

Lovely to hear about your goldens 🥰

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Rafi passed his bronze course last night (kc good citizen bronze)

He’s now 7.5 months old and huge! 28.8kg at last weigh, Zazu the lab is 26kg. Picture for size reference 🤣

He’s keen as mustard to retrieve and carry things, much keener than I remember my lab being at the same age (who is now a great gundog) I just need to remember he is only a pup still despite his size and not to overdo it

He hasn’t been out on the shoot yet as I think he would be to excited so I’m going to wait for next season but he’s retrieved some cold game no problem

Overall he is a delight and I might just be sold on the goldies 🤩

Attachments

• IMG_5007.jpeg
    IMG_5007.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4944.jpeg
    IMG_4944.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 22

Belmont

Visit site
Well done Rafi! He's very similar to ours who is now 8 months and 29kg. Still a delight but going through the teenager stage. Someone brought their bitch in season to training last week, he didn't want to know me at all! :rolleyes: