Working holiday with horses??

Dry Rot

Visit site
What would you expect?

Every summer I try to get help with ponies but it is difficult to get anyone knowledgeable locally because there are not a lot of people nearby looking for part time work with horses. If they are interested in horses, they have their own and are working at a steady job already to get the money to pay for them! All I can offer is part time work and even then it is "weather permitting".

So, would you be interested in a working holiday with horses and what would you expect? Live in is not an option because I have a very small house, but perhaps a caravan? What hours would you expect to work? If a moderately comfortable caravan was supplied free, what payment, if any, would you expect on top? (Bear in mind, social services are clamping down so earnings would need to be declared by both sides!).

I know this is an impossible question but if you've been on a working holiday, or were thinking of taking one, what would you be looking for? I'm in the Scottish Highlands in a location ideal for touring and with good hacking. There could be opportunities to show. The work is mostly with youngsters though I expect people to help out with whatever needs to be done. Oh, I nearly forgot! No poo picking or mucking out!:)

Tai.Ni.Po.Ni

Visit site
I suppose I kind of went a working holiday, in Dubai. I worked 5 days a week, four hours In the morning and four in the evening. Got all meals provided and decent accommodation. No mucking out, only riding. And I got a decent salary on top, about 100 per week. Was the best experience of my life :D

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
I take people on working holidays and often have to turn people away as we get so many requests. We use a website called helpex whch we have found invaluable this winter, and have loads of people wanting to come. I don't pay a wage, volunteers get room, board and riding and they work hard! For those with less experience I give free lessons, more experienced riders get to do a lot of riding out.

Some people come and hate it but 99% love it and I have made many good friends. Ours live in even though we have a tiny house, so if you have a spare room I think that would be better thana caravan (depends how cold it gets!).

Let me know if you want any more info :)