Working Hunter - advice please

Weezy

Visit site
There is a local show on Sunday (Young Farmers, low key) and I am debating whether to enter the Working Hunter as I know the ring for the SJ will be too small for my big lad. I have never done a WH in my life, the jumping part will be easy (3ft) but can someone give me a quick lowdown on the rest...

a) Dress? Ratcatcher, shirt and tie or can I get away with ratcatcher and coloured stock as I do out hunting?

b) Tack? Currently ride in loose ring snaffle, running martingale and grackle - I presume I will have to lose the martingale and grackle?

c) Show? W/T/C on both reins and a gallop?

d) Suitability? Will we be laughed out of the ring (he is carrying more weight now) The only thing he has going for him is his size, he is certainly not *show* weight LOL!

Ted2.jpg

100_0836.jpg

_April_

Visit site
Showing?!

I think I used to use a martingale... how useful am I.. not very!

Have fun though - WH is the only show class I would ever consider too
grin.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Tweed and tie. Stock is strictly a no no.

Tack is fine you can have boots on front as well. You can ride in anything pretty much WH - everything has to stay on for show but boots come off. So grakle and martingale are fine.

Depends on level to whether judge will ride but at local more likely to have to do a show. Do something simple to show the horse off. You normally gallop with all the others so not needed in individual show.

I think he will be fine.

Weezy

Visit site
Thanks girls!

So coloured shirt and tie lec?

I very much doubt the guy that usually does the judging will ride, pretty sure he didn't last year!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I bought a yellow shirt from Asda for £4 and pinched one of my fathers ties.

BBs

Visit site
Weez I have a yellow shirt you can borrow if you like?
Plain numnah - use GP
Fawn jods

Ooo exciting, when is it? I can groom
grin.gif

SmallHunter

Visit site
Tweed and a tie is right and if the judge doesn't ride you are normally expected to show W,T,C on both reins and a gallop for your individual.

Tack will be fine although if it comes down to 2 horses equally as good and one is in plainer tack then that is normally a clincher.

ps. I think you stole my horse
grin.gif

kane.jpg

clairel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

a) Dress? Ratcatcher, shirt and tie or can I get away with ratcatcher and coloured stock as I do out hunting?

If it is a low key affair then a stock would be fine but personally I prefer a shirt and tie. If you have one that will look smart with your jacket, then I would wear it.

b) Tack? Currently ride in loose ring snaffle, running martingale and grackle - I presume I will have to lose the martingale and grackle?

That tack is fine, you are allowed a martingale for both phases but must take your boots off for the show. You are not allowed to change your tack between the 2 phases, so if you jump with a martingale, you have to wear it in the show.

c) Show? W/T/C on both reins and a gallop?

Perfect! Keep it short and sweet, and show off what you can do best!

d) Suitability? Will we be laughed out of the ring (he is carrying more weight now) The only thing he has going for him is his size, he is certainly not *show* weight LOL!

I think he looks lovely and will most certainly not be laughed out of the ring. Such stunning dapples.
grin.gif

Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Weezy

Visit site
Jamie has a million ties, so that part is easy, he has a yellow shirt, but it will be huge on me LOL!

BBs, yes please, not saying I deffo AM doing it yet, I will go and check the ground up there as it is probably rock hard and rutty, as our fields are. It is this Sunday. It also depends what time they will be starting it as Sally & Jules are staying on Sat night and I doubt it will be sober LOL! If it is after lunchtime then yes I will do it, if I have to be plaited, washed and ready by 10...I would rather stay in bed and just go to Summerhouse on the Tuesday!!!

BBs

Visit site
I have some old showing stuff you can borrow if you like.
Okay let me know what you decide. Can plait for you, will take me 20 minutes
x

louisevictoria

Visit site
If I can manage a workers class anyone can.

At local level it is pretty much anything goes but I wore a shirt and tie and tweed jacket.
Tack wise I used a small plain numnah the same colour as my saddle (black) and didn't change anything else, kept the boy in the same bit and noseband as I normally use for SJing.

individual show they are looking for WTC on both reins and possibly a gallop but I wouldn't if this will hype him up too much, I didn't gallop in my individual show as I knew it would set my boy off bucking and it didn't stop me from coming 2nd.

good luck
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
I watched the Workers at the royal show on Sky and Louise Bell (?) on Cruise Control had a massive bit on with a standing martingale. He's one of the top hunters in the country.

Weezy

Visit site
Excellent stuff
grin.gif
Maybe I should put something more impressive in his mouth then LOL! Sadly next to Cruise Control Ted would look like an anorexic waif
grin.gif

Law

Visit site
From my (limited) experience of doing workers classes with Darcy you need to ride your fences at a hunting pace and kick on between fences where you can... only the clears are called back in for the show and you are marked for conformation and ride. Its as much about manners as it is about style. They like to see the horse respond from gallop back down the paces. Round here they also won't ask you for a gallop if the ground is really hard. Fairly often they will also strip the horses (even at local level, depends on the judge). They don't want to see untidy jumping or horses backing off
smile.gif

That's just how it is round here, not sure if like that everywhere
smile.gif

Have fun, he looks perfect for it!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
How exciting - good advice above (def stick with shirt and tie though).Use plaiting thread or thin elastic for your number as this will look loads better, and brown gloves. Good luck and have lots of fun - look forward to hearing about it!