Working Hunter Experts Please.

claracanter

Visit site
Hi

I am thinking of entering my boy ( old fashioned Hunter Chaser TB type) in some green working hunter classes as a bit of fun as we have never tried any before and he loves his jumping. I'm guessing he can't do it in his Micklem bridle, can he? Is he ok in a waterford? Can I wear brown long boots or is it just black? Do you get to walk the course first?
Sorry lots of questions but I don't think I will get time to go and watch one before the first competition I plan to take him to.

Many thanks

KautoStar1

Visit site
Not sure about the Micklem but it seems Workers now go in anything. it used to be a snaffle, Pelham or Double with a plain noseband, but you see gags and all sorts, along with drop and flash nosebands, and martingales just running through the curb rein (awful). At local level I am sure your micklem would be acceptable.
With tweed, brown boots is actually correct dress, although most people wear black. At a major show for a championship you would change from ratcatcher (tweeds) to full up hunting dress (so black coat, boots, white stock, hunting cap / topper for ladies).
Yes you walk the course prior to jumping.
Your horse can wear front boots but not hind and boots should be removed for the go round part of the class. But whatever tack you jump in you must remain in for the flat section.
Depending on the level you are competing at, you would jump your round when called for (most places run in an order). Don't forget to stop in front of the judge before you jump your round so they can do a quick assessment of your horse. Jump round and then come back to the judge to salute them. Again this doesn't seem to get done these days, but its correct and polite to acknowledge the judges.
If you jump clear, or a good flowing 4 faulter (depending on numbers in class) you will be called back in for the go round, which is then the same for a flat class. Walk trot canter, change the rein, gallop. Line up, strip & run up for conformation & ride judge or at local level you might be asked to do a quick individual show. keep it simple, walk trot, canter on both reins and extend on one rein.

Your jumping round should be based on going at hunting pace, so don't belt round but keep moving on. WH judges hate seeing WH courses show jumped, so no hooking and setting up for a fence like SJ's do ;). A free flowing round jumped out of a nice even pace is whats needed.

Hope that helps & best of luck