Working hunter- what’s involved?

cobsarefab

Visit site
So, with the newly clipped out and hogged cobbus I have been told she’d do well in working Hunter classes so I have a few questions.
-what tack and bit would she need to wear
-what would I need to wear?
-what percentage of the class is jumping and how big are the jumps?
-what hairs do we have to show?
-what would make us more likely to lose/gain marks?
-would she be allowed to wear a breastplate?
Thanks in advance everyone.
Any pics would be great
Pic of smart looking cobbus
jFVmWeF.jpg

rara007

Visit site
At local level you can do the working hunter but it's the working show horse classes you're really after with a cob. Tack and bit whatever she jumps best in- ideally havanna and conservative. Tweed jacket, shirt tie cream breeches black boots, conservative colour skull cap and silk or 'show' hat.

Leo Walker

Visit site
At local level anything goes, but she isnt what you are ideally looking for as a working hunter. Working hunter is judged at least partially on jumping style and shes a bit too green at jumping for that just yet. Knowing you and her as well as I do, show her in coloured classes to start. Shes actually a nice stamp of a cob and should do well. Family pony will be her forte as well. And you could probably do cob classes as well. I know in this area theres no height limits.

Whatever class you do you turn out to type, so you turn her out as a cob. Tweed, shirt, tie etc. If you remind me I'll dig my tweed out for you to borrow :biggrin3:

Kat

Visit site
Lots of shows have a working cob class you would be best in that but at local level I have won working hunter classes on a cob just because it jumped clear and enthusiastically from a forward canter and did a nice show.

Yes you can wear a breast plate, l used to have lessons with someone very into WH at county level and beyond, she always advised a breast plate.

tda

Visit site
Remember the course is to be jumped at a hunting pace, flowing rather than slow down speed up setting the horse up at each jump.
Definitely tweed. Have fun xx