Working Hunter without a groom?

sarahann1

Visit site
Hints and tips required for going to a WH comp on your own required pretty please?

We have a local show which includes a WH which is, unusually, for any type of horse and has a lovely line saying 'no scary fillers' for the tiny classes, so I'm thinking of giving it a go, but I'll be on my loansome. It's not clear from the schedule if there are one or two judges, so I've no idea if I'd have to untack etc?

How do you solo competitors manage?

Ta folks :)

be positive

Visit site
You may not have to strip at local level but if you do it is normally easy enough if the horse is good, after the judge rides take the saddle off, just give a quick rub where it has been to remove marks, it is very rare that another groom will not give a hand to help you put it back on and get you back in the saddle, I have had offers from people and done the same when I have been the groom, at a county show recently I helped one girl sort herself before she went in the ring, she was rushing to swap rides, I then groomed for her as she looked lost, she was very grateful as her groom/ mum was looking after the other pony, showing people are generally helpful if you ask nicely.

AFB

Visit site
At local level I really wouldn't think you'll need to untack etc. so should be fine on your own. Maybe ask the organisers what will be expected of you so you can plan ahead?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You may not have to strip at local level but if you do it is normally easy enough if the horse is good, after the judge rides take the saddle off, just give a quick rub where it has been to remove marks, it is very rare that another groom will not give a hand to help you put it back on and get you back in the saddle, I have had offers from people and done the same when I have been the groom, at a county show recently I helped one girl sort herself before she went in the ring, she was rushing to swap rides, I then groomed for her as she looked lost, she was very grateful as her groom/ mum was looking after the other pony, showing people are generally helpful if you ask nicely.

This absolutely, don't be put off going to have some fun. The other grooms will help you and one of them or more will have a step you can use to get back on with. I did a lot of showing alone a few years ago, the biggest asset is a horse that understands 'stand and don't move' !! then you can get your saddle off easily. I stewarded a local show recently, 6 in the hunters, 3 of which were alone. I helped as did the grooms.

At local level you will be fine.

Visit site
Go! Enjoy yourself! And have fun! There will always be someone willing to lend a hand be it another groom, competitor, steward or even judge if they see you are struggling.

When I steward I usually get the leggy up classes to do as I can throw people up all day long (can't take a leg up though!) And I will always lend a hand where possible holding horses, popping saddles out the way, throwing competitors back on board etc.

Just don't be scared to smile and ask!

sarahann1

Visit site
Thanks all, I've stewarded and groomed at a handful of WHs in the past, but competing is a whole other ball game, I'm probably massively over thinking it! i think that they can be run in more than one format is what's making me a bit apprehensive.