Working livery contract expectations

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I found a lovely yard today, very professionally run, lovely stables and with a very clear contract. It's a bit gut-wrenching that I have to move her from working livery to full livery (DIY isn't an option for me) but that's just horse ownership, I guess.

Good decision. I have had a horse on working livery in a riding school and it mostly worked fine. It sounds like you were the one being taken for a ride in this case, though.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I'm happy you're leaving. Life is simply too short to pussy foot around people who are clearly out to fleece others. Your YO sounds like a real piece of work and reminds me of one I used to know. Sad that the horse world appears to have more than its fair share of these people, and curious how many people put up with such behaviour.

Move on, chalk it up to experience and enjoy your lovely horse.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Doesn't sound like a contract, more like a list of expectations and charges that apply to you. Moving is the right thing.

nessie19

Visit site
I should really reply to this and follow up.

We moved about a month ago and what a difference it's made.

Firstly, she's picked up a bit of weight and a lot of condition and she looks incredible. Her feed is much higher quality and plentiful - I can barely lift the haynets that they prepare for her. When it rains and she can't go in her field (her very own field!), she gets turned out in one of their schools for an hour or so, in contrast to the 10 minutes she was getting at the previous place.

She's a lot happier in herself too and I often see people going up to her for a cuddle.

Her stable is spotless all the time - no more damp shavings giving her thrush. The facilities are just top notch.

I now look forward to going to the yard to see my horse rather then dreading it. It's more money, but it was the best decision I made. Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread. :)

Deltaflyer

Visit site
So glad it's worked out so well :) Now you can really enjoy your horse and that really is how it should be :) :) :)

Taking my boy off working livery was the best thing I did for both him and me :)

Damnation

Visit site
That is fantastic OP - Glad you can now enjoy your horse!

I have to say I could never do Working Livery, I am too much of a control freak! I can't even go on Part Livery I am so fussy.. :D

Deltaflyer

Visit site
That is fantastic OP - Glad you can now enjoy your horse!

I have to say I could never do Working Livery, I am too much of a control freak! I can't even go on Part Livery I am so fussy.. :D

Me too LOL - I'm on DIY at the yard I'm at currently but their DIY isn't 'DIY' enough for me! Didn't realise how much of a control freak I am before as I'd always been DIY.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I think you are being totally reasonable.

Tell them you want things made perfectly clear and all rotten down.

To be honest though I think I'd move horse to a better more organised yard.

Just remember she may take a while to settle and change personality in a non riding school setting.