Working Livery- what's everyone's thoughts? (Bit long, sorry!)

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Yes, I did consider a sharer and if I could find a yard that had decent facilities, grass livery all year round and a space, I'd probably take it!

However, I haven't yet found one in my area (and have looked up to 15miles away from my house) with either full year turnout or a space.

I am aware on the working livery she wouldn't be getting 24/7 turnout, but she would be getting looked after, brought in/out of the field every day which I couldn't commit to doing every day myself or afford to pay full livery at a private yard.

FigJam

As far as flat work is concerned, she's not too tricky to ride, so I can see that less experienced riders would likely be riding her. As far as jumping and hacking goes though, so is not a novice ride.

Out hacking, she can be fairly spooky and forward going. She has the biggest "pop" to her jump which has been known to unseat previous riders! Great if you're prepared and experienced, but wouldn't fancy learning to jump on her! She also jumped trotting poles last time I tried that!!!
smirk.gif
However, for an experienced rider, she has a lovely attitude towards jumping and has never refused or ran out with me and really built up my confidence again.

I would be interested to watch some lessons there and see how they are treated, but as someone has mentioned, colleges (especially this one which has just had so much funding ploughed into it) tend to be a step up from riding schools with complete beginners. (no offence to RSs, we all have to learn somewhere!)

Dogbetty141

Visit site
My Friend used to have her horse on working livery and she was told that her horse would be used for 2 hrs a day maximum and that they would let her know when they would use her. Now this all started good and well but about 6months into it they were using her for more than 2 hours a day and rubbing her name off the carkboard so that my friend would not know. she would then go and tack up and off she went out on a ride. The horse had been used for 3 hrs that day and then my friend tacked up and went out on a ride. Colleges or riding schools can be very scheming i think. Her horse never used to whinny at her or really even know who she was she was just used to being handled by any tom dick or harry.

If you are not bothered by this then go for it but personally this is not having your horse its more you are riding when ever you want but paying for a horse.

I wouldnt even consider it for any horse that id have and horses get ruined by schools as anyone is riding them. Whether it is a college or not some peps that go have never ridden before. Im sorry to bable but i def think you should find a DIY and enjoy the pleasure of your own horse not a shared one.

katiejaye

Visit site
It really depends on the horse and their character. You will have to resign yourself to the fact though that any hard work that you do could be ruined or undone by other less-experienced/less sensitive riders. I only say this as I had to put my first horse on WL for a year when I was doing GCSE's. I would never do it again though as he became incredibly unhappy, unresponsive and nappy. When I moved yards and moved back to normal livery I had to turn him away for 3months just to give him a break as he was completely fed up. After he was bought back into work he had real issues with schooling. I eventually made the decision to sell him as a happy hacker to a lovely lady in Kent, he spent the rest of his years hacking, hunting and doing pleasure rides...oh and doing NO schooling!

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I had my horse on working livery at Moulton College for two terms when I was unable to look after him for a while. He was looked after amazingly well. I was able to visit whenever I liked and whenever I turned up he was happy, clean. I saw him being ridden in a couple of lessons and the instructors were great. Even the less experienced students at equine college have some riding experience and I was never worried he was going to be ruined.

He went on a Mary Wanless course with one of the experienced students and did a lot of cross country which he loved but I don't really have the balls for.

My experience was good. I am sure it wouldn't suit all horses but I would certainly consider it again if the need arose.

eahotson

Visit site
It sounds WONDERFUL. Go for it! You and your horse will benefit. I wouldn't let a horse go on working livery everywhere but in a good place, well its marvelous.

Stella

Visit site
mceeaw - I don't really understand that point
confused.gif

I personally wouldn't do it, but its a very individual thing I guess and relationships between a horse and its owner is individual. I like to have control and wouldn't be comfortable with a variety of people riding my horse and making decisions about her.

suzyseymour

Visit site
I put my horse on working livery at the agric college I went to. It was a disaster. They cut her mouth with a rubber bit. Knowing that she is whip shy they tried to force her to lunge with a whip, 4 people lunging 1 horse who crashed through the next door lesson.

She severley damage her hip, due to being lunged and jumped too much, she was signed off work, but people were still tacking her up and taking her to lessons. Took them 5 weeks to get her to the vet for xrays. Was told she would never been ridden again without a lot of pain killers, they couldn't understand why I wouldn't dope up a 12yr old and put her back on the school.

She came down with a virus and was very poorly, her injections weren't due to a month after she came home, but they had them done when she was ill and ended up wth a massive swelling where the injection was done. She was so poorly she couldn't life her head up and down and hardly walk.

This is just the edited highlights of what she went through there was a whole lot more and she was only there for 1 term. I know 3 other people who moved horses on at the same time and all were crippled and had to go home. I would never, ever even consider putting my horses on working livery.

Just make sure you keep a very close eye on your horse and keep chatting to student etc at the yard, I found out all sorts that the staff didn't tell me about what was happening.

Good luck!

paintsplat05

Visit site
i put Star on working livery over last winter and it was brilliant! i signed an agreement with the yard manager saying how many hours he was to work every week and i would get the final say over which clients rode him. It was just like DIY livery except i didn't get to ride as much and it cost less!

eahotson

Visit site
My post was not meant to be sarcastic at all. I genuinely think this is a marvellous oportunity for you and your horse. I wouldn't put a horse in working livery in just any place BUT then again I wouldn't keep it in just any livery yard. This sounds wonderful.What is sarcastic about that?

FigJam

I apologise if your post wasn't intended as sarcastic, it's just the way it came across to me, with the short, snipped sentences.

Also seemed a bit OTT to just say it was marvelous and wonderful without much of an explaination as to why you thought that.

Most folk have (quite rightly) pointed out pros and cons to consider and weigh up, which I appreciate as it's not something to jump into without giving a lot of thought and consideration to.

Again, apologies for taking your post the wrong way.

madgirl

Visit site
Hmm working livery didnt work for me but YO wasnt very nive tbh. Took full advantage but it can work out with the right people.
I had a pony so litttle kids could just be dumped on him!

FigJam

What a terrible experience you and your poor horse had.
mad.gif

If that were the case, she'd be out of there at the first sign.

The general consensus seems to be when it's good it's very good and when it's bad it's awful. Guess I need to look at the place, hear what the SM has to say and go with my gut instinct of whether I believe they will genuinely stick to the schedule and contract they tell me they will.

eahotson

Visit site
Well most people seemed to say the sort of things I would say without me repeating it all. In your situation you would have those fabulous facilities, access to excellent instrucors if you want them AND the horses that I have met that have been to college all have lovely schooling.Having all those facilities and schooling without working livery would be way beyond most peoples pockets.Summer off as well.What more do you want?

JaneSteventon

Visit site
My mare was on working livery, I bought her from the school and she just continued to live there. I was happy with the arrangement then, but i have looked after her myself for the past two years and i am far too attached and control freakish to let either of my horses be looked after by someone else now. But those are my feelings, my horse was perfectly happy and healthy there and i do feel that riding school horses have a better life than a lot of horses if the riding school is ran well.

nomini

Visit site
When I first bought Jigsaw he was kept on working livery as it was the only way I could have a horse at the time. He was only 5 when I bought him and having him on the riding school really helped me and him. He was being taught even when I couldn't be there so was perfect for me. However, towards the end of the year that he was there I started to get fed up with him being used all the time and eventually moved him to a DIY yard. He was on a riding school not at a college though, so was probably pushed and pulled around a bit more than the college horses are. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
smile.gif