Working Livery?

spider

community.webshots.com
does anyone have their horse on working livery at an college? how does it work out for you? Is it a better standard of riding than at a riding school?

Brandy

Visit site
I had a pony on working livery at a riding school, good pony, rather speedy but safe as houses. Took about a year to get her back to normal after I realised it was doing her no good. :(

Friend has sent two horses to colleges, both good, both a little lively (been known to jog....) both sent back as the students couldn't cope. Not a good recommedation I'm afraid.

MinskiKaii

Visit site
I took my mare to college with me. She only lasted one term, it was a total nighmare, she had a terrible time and I was very relieved to finally get her out of there. Would never do it again.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
im just about to put my horse on a part working livery at college..

the deal i get is full livery.. plus many extras for 50 pw in return they use my mare for 3 45 min sessions a week.

im VERY apprehensive about this, but to be fair to the college as she is a baby they have been really good discussing what i want her to be used for , ie.. she is mainly a show horse.. i dont want intermidates riding her and atempting to school, but she is very safe to put a complete novice on her for lunging etc, also im not a huge jumper where as she needs to do more of this, so they will basically use her for jumping, the real cant rides and demos, ie lunging, and also the ground work. bandaging things like this.

so far im happy with this arrangement, and have made it clear that i could turn up at any time of day, and they actually said i was welcome to watch sessions etc.

im not 100% convinced im doing the right thing, but my mare also is a complete smart arse and can hold her own, yet knows when mum is about or on board.

the full working livery option was basically loan to the college and they could use the horse for up to 3 45 min session PER DAY.. 5 days a week. that to me is a hell of a lot, with a hell of a lot of riders in that situation i can easily see how a horse would get messed up .

teapot

Visit site
Riding ability surely depends on the standard of the riding school and college in question?

I know I wouldn't have improved as much as I did without the working liveries at my RS which are some fantastic, high quality horses :)

spider

community.webshots.com
Just looked at the prospectus and it says you have to be able to walk, trot and canter. Seemed like a good idea but as just beginning to get a consistent outline I don't think it would help with schooling. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

JoG

Visit site
Ditto Binky :(

Have been a student at a top college but am afraid working livery would be my very last option for a horse of mine :(

ETA - I think if you're having to pay towards it then you would easily find a competent rider in a local riding school who has the time, but not money to have a horse on DIY, and then could arrange a "work for riding" arrangement/loan for the same cost :)

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Ditto Binky :(

Have been a student at a top college but am afraid working livery would be my very last option for a horse of mine :(

ETA - I think if you're having to pay towards it then you would easily find a competent rider in a local riding school who has the time, but not money to have a horse on DIY, and then could arrange a "work for riding" arrangement/loan for the same cost :)

see one of my reasons for moving, are livery yards.. im never willing to set foot on one again, but also the price, but mainly the facitlites, and the acces to comps, and clinics i get.

id be intrested to hear what colleges people were at..

Guinness

Visit site
My horse is currently on working livery, as a last resort option as I have just relocated and needed somewhere quick until I found a new yard. Although he's obviously not looked after to my superior standards (!) I have to say I love going down on a weekend and chatting to the students about how much fun they have with him in lessons, stable management and just generally messing around with him, giving him baths-2 students on each leg, practising bandaging and plaiting and trying to get him to jump a course of showjumps!. They absolutely love him, and it makes me happy that they get such enjoyment out of him. He is however a mature cob, so has probably already learnt all the bad habits he can do! And while I cannot wait to get him home (2 weeks to go) I will certainly miss the college, and the students and I am sure that he will miss the attention as well! So although working livery certainly isn't suitable for all horses, I think it can sometimes work out very well :)