Working pupil experiences

Showjumper567

Visit site
Hi, just a few questions on people who have been working pupils in yards or worked in yards to gain experience. (I would be doing it without my own horse.
Just a few questions and any of your own thoughts or opinions are of course invited!

I live in Ireland just so that can be taken into consideration! (Staying in Ireland not essential)

1) any experiences both positive and negative
2) how long did you stay in such a role
3) what sort of payment did you receive
4) what sort of hours did you work
5) did you feel you really benefitted from the experience

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Elli is a dressage WP currently- works 7-5pm (own horse done in that time) and is paid NMW. Horse livery and lessons are subtracted from that so we break even.

On a very good yard with excellent training :)

Bubblegum

Visit site
There are good and bad yards to go to, so do your homework! Make a list of what you want to get out of the experience, and make sure you ask the right questions. Good yards will ask you to go for assessment days, these are a two way street, so make sure you are happy too.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE PAID NMW: it is your entitlement, and the LAW. Deductions can be made from this for accommodation, lessons, horse livery etc, but THESE MUST BE AGREED, and you must have a payslip.
The best yards offer fantastic experiences : lessons, yard management training, instruction on the superior care of their horses, and they are willing and happy to teach you these things. They will pay you , and value you for commitment, high standards, and an enthusiasm to learn. They respect that you are not doing this 'for the money' but in return, they expect a great work ethic from you and want you to be part of their team, as they want the best staff they can afford. You will work long and hard hours, but you will love it.
The bad yards will offer you a dodgy 'agreement' for way less than NMW... and expect you to work all the hours God sends. Sometimes they will leave you in sole charge so they can have a day / eve off. They don't teach you much on the yard, and on ridden lessons are on the phone/twitter all the time, they don't value you, and just get what they can out of you. Sometimes it is difficult to know that a yard is like this.
Talk to the staff, if they are all leaving on the same day, this is not a good sign.... despite what the yard manager says!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck!

Showjumper567

Visit site
Hi. I still have another year in school so it is not for another 18 months. I have Showjumped to 140 and evented to 1* on ponies/horses that I got the rides on that other people have had difficulty with. On school holidays/weekends I work for a 4* event rider so have good yard experience.

I just want to have a good idea of what to be looking for either if I want to stay in my current yard or go to a different yard.

glamourpuss

Visit site
If you already work for a 4* rider might it be worth approaching them about the poss of a WP position? If they don't have the time for that they may know someone who would be.