Workload for a 19 yr old

Jericho

Visit site
Workload advice for 19 yr old pony please - a friend has just taken one on and it’s a bit of a rosette machine and confidence is blooming and hence her daughter is very keen and wanting to go out every weekends eventing or showjumping up to 80cm travelling up to 2 1/2 hrs away. Pony is ridden most days (schooling and jumping usually) and often travels to a mid week lesson too. Pony is looked after very well and fit, in at night, out at day. Also has Cushings. Don’t really want to get involved but am feeling a bit sorry for pony and was asked my advice and I wasn’t sure what to say. My gut is that at 19 all that competing / travelling is quite hard on them

JFTDWS

Visit site
Some kids ponies go on forever and will be out winning and charging around well into their 20s. Some won't. If the pony is fit, sound and happy, I wouldn't be concerned.

silv

Visit site
Kibah Tic Toc won Badminton aged 18 for Matt Ryan, he lived to be 36. If the pony looks well and happy then I wouldn’t worry.

Templebar

Visit site
As above most ponies will be happy to keep going. Thing about ponies is you quickly know when they have had enough and IME stop the work or slow it down and they start to show their age very quickly.

conniegirl

Visit site
my pony is 18yrs old, I defy anyone to tell him he needs to slow down! we were out on sunday at a show and one comment from the judge was "he looks like he could go all day" and yes he could and would happily "go all day" and still be acting like a prat and jumping nettles or shadows at the end of the day!

On sunday He pony skiied me up the ramp of the lorry, stood there dancing in excitement whilst we went to fetch another pony and then tiggered round the show ground when we got him out at the other end. He had a good hour of working in before his first class and he was still daft as a brush in the class. He was a bit better in the second class.

I'd happily travel him 2.5hrs, do a couple of classes and then travel him back, I might actually get some sense out of him at the show if I did!

A pony is not old at 19!

Last edited:

JustMe22

Visit site
As above, I wouldn't worry if he seems happy and fit. We have a 28yo ex racer at our yard still working 4 days a week, and I'm currently riding a PSG horse who is 19 and very happily to gallop around bucking in between teaching me the advanced movements. Sister's pony is probably 18 or 19 and shows no signs whatsoever of slowing down :)

TGM

Visit site
As long as the pony seems fit and healthy then should be fine - probably will be healthier than one who is left to get fat in the field from lack of exercise!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
ponies are not really old at 19 so i wouldnt worry but they need to make sure he has some chill out days, a complete day off a week when he doesnt work at all and maybe a few days hacking, he can still be jumped out hacking but it would give him a bit of variety and the rider some more bonding time with him..

scats

Visit site
I had a jumping pony who went on competing (and winning!) til she was 27. She was like an absolute machine and never had a days lameness. Attempts to give her a quieter life ended in her being depressed and going off food so we would up the work again and She would return to normal. In all my years of horses, she’s the only one I genuinely believe lived for her work.

But I would certainly expect a fit and healthy pony to be happy working into their twenties.

Snowfilly

Visit site
As long as he gets a mixture of hacking and flatwork as well as just jumping, I can't see the problem. 19 is no age for a kids pony and most PC faithfuls will be much older and still going out weekly. They're used to it all, the travel etc shouldn't be a strain.

claret09

Visit site
go for it. they tell you when they want to slow down. I took my boy (in the picture) out jumping tonight. he is 22 on Monday and still in full work. he loves going out and doing stuff. he goes out at least once or twice most weeks. I ride him almost every day as well - for between 20 and 40 mins. he regularly does clinics both flat and jumping and loves them. he does have physio from an amazing lady every three weeks - I know some people will think that's excessive and it might be but he looks and feels amazing. so keep going

claret09

Visit site
forgot to mention we did a ridden hunter class last week and the judge thought I had bought my baby out!!!!

windand rain

Visit site
ponies that are kept active into old age do better than those that don't in the main. In fact their toughness and enthusiasm knows no bounds they will let you know when they've had enough. Having said that horses should too if you can keep them from breaking A fit healthy 20 odd year old horse will also do better than a retired one

tristar

Visit site
our friends had a 28 year old who would beat the horses jumping, looked such a dot in the line up, they are only as old as they feel,if they love it, do it