Worm count - how often

SueAllen

Visit site
As my horse lives alone (apart from sheep) and his pasture is kept clean I haven't wormed him for over a year (apart from an annual red worm treatment), relying instead on worm counts from his droppings. Has anyone got any schedules for this that work for them? Should it be done around the same time as normal worming schedules or more often?

Thanks.

pfarrugia

Visit site
worm counting should be done on a monthly basis so I believe. Then at around dec time you need to worm for redworm and bots. I would keep up the once a month esp if he is living with sheep - they can often be carriers for worms.

Bossanova

Visit site
Worm count every 3/4 months but remember they dont give indication of large redworm or tapeworm burdens so you should still worm for these

L

lilym

i would reccommed a worm count every 6 -8 weeks throughout the grazing season, you only need worm when the sample comes back as over 200 eggs per gram, you are lucky having sheep as horse worms cannot survive in a ruminant and vice versa, all you need to treat for is tapeworm in march and october - or you can have a blood test done which will detect if tapeworm are present - or choose a wormer that is active against tapeworm, and treat for encysted small redworm (cyathastomes) in late nov and early feb, as these cannot be detected in a feaceal sample either, you may be interested in the equest pramox, treats all the above and in your situation a dose twice a year at the mentioned times would be quite sufficient! don't forget your sheep as well!!

spaniel

Visit site
I do mine every 8 to 12 weeks depending on the time of year.

I also use non chemical worming wherever possible using only tapeworm treatments where blood tests show it is required plus I worm for encysted reds. My counts are always less than 50 epg.

SueAllen

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's advice. Pramox is what I used in November last year for redworm at the vet's recommendation but didn't get advice about using it in February. Too late now??

L

lilym

you could use pramox now with no probs at all, will deal with any tapes that may have been picked up, and also any encysted that may have hung around.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I worm count March, August and worm for tape in September then count again late October. They get Equest in early January for encysted red worm.

Works very well for me - Chancer had a low count this March but he is a youngster and more prone to worms.