Worm question for Borderreiver - or other experts on encysted

Polos Mum

Visit site
I have a 19 y/o rescure pony on loan from a charity - his owners were prosicuted so I can only imagine his management was very poor - but, rightly so, they won't give me specific details.

Fair to say I'm sure he wasn't wormed properly for the first decade of his life. I've had him for five years now and every winter I've correctly dosed him with Equest Paramox and every spring he comes back with a massive count (1000+) which I then treat and have a follow up count which comes back as no eggs seen (so I assume this has worked). Other counts later in the year are also below 50 or no eggs seen.

He's turned out with 1 one other who's only every had no eggs seen counts in 5 years. I poo pick 2/3 times a week in summer - not in winter but that field is only used for 3 months and rested the other 9.
He's never been off site so doesn't graze with other horses.

Sorry for the essay! I'm sure this is encysted worms which hatch out each spring but what I don't know is why the equest isn't treating them? Could he have such a high burden of them that even after 5 doses there are still some left or is there any evidence of resistance to equest? if so what else is licenced to treat encysted worms (I think only 5 day Panacur which I tried once)

Thanks

Borderreiver

Visit site
Hi, with a pony who has a neglected past it is very common for worms to persist for years. Is he in good health generally, no signs of cushings, a good weight? Equest requires a good level of body fat to be effective.
I would be interested in the timings of your dose and tests, what sort of gaps are you leaving? You are correct that 5 day P is the only other treatment for encysted redworm and certainly may be worth a try, probably with a follow up dose of Equest about 4-6 weeks after, used in Nov/Dec. I would test for redworm from 2 mths after the Equest. If clear test again in 4 weeks. One of the first signs of resistance is a shortened egg reappearance gap. Unfortunately this is the scary situation which is already starting to happen. Yes I appreciate we are talking about encysted stages here, but encysted redworm turn into egg laying redworm at some point.
If the pony is not in good health then please involve your vet.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Many thanks - he is in excellent health currently, he has poor teeth so did drop weight over winter for the first time this year but no other health issues at all, with grass around he looks A1 (otherwise you're absolutely right I'd have the vet)

Interesting to know that Equest won't be fully effective even after years or repeat treatments. I will try a 5 day P in Oct followed up with the usual Equest in Nov and see if next spring there is any improvement.

I'll give you his test and treatment history - again sorry for the essay.

April Equest P - given by charity before he came to me
July - no eggs seen
October - 150 epg
Dec - Equest P

March - 250 epg
March - Noromectin
July - 850 epg
July - Equest
August - no eggs seen
November - 100 epg
December Equimax tabs

March - 50 epg
June - 1150 epg
June - Equimax tabs
July - no eggs seen
September - 1200 epg
September Equimax tabs
December - Equest P

March - 300 epg
July - 100 epg
December - Equest P

April - 2250 epg
April - Eraquell tabs
May - no eggs seen
August - no eggs seen
November - Equest P

March - less than 50 epg
July - 1150 epg
July - Eraquell tabs
August - no eggs seen

dalesslave

Visit site
maybe not the answer to the entire problem but possibly an explanation as to what you have been seeing regarding egg counts. Low at beginning of year then rapid increase, the severe temperatures seen at start of year delayed egg hatch, then excellent weather for worms caused a rapid increase in numbers. Individual equines develope a varied level of immunity to parasites if he had a bad start he maybe didnt get the chance to gain as good a level within himself as some other horses. Yes a tiny amount of resistance has been recorded to moxedectin but resistance lies with in the parasites and therefore the pasture and not within the individual horse there fore if resistance is present the other equine would be showing higher epg. Have you tried to talk to the vet on the zoetis tech team they may offer you some more technical help or have a better explanation. if you do please let me know the outcome it would be very interesting and i'm nosey!