Wormer recommendation

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So yesterday, I wormed all 3 boys, nowhere near meal time, having learnt my lesson with projectile puking the time before last. Oh. Dear. Lord. Incontinent old dog had explosive diorrhea and Bear just stood and ejected his entire stomach contents. Bearing in mind they had the tablets 3/4 hours before food, I’m a bit surprised.

So can anyone recommend a wormer that isn’t Drontal or Cestem? Many thanks!

some show

Visit site
I've heard Milbemax is supposed to be very well tolerated, but you have to get a prescription for it. I use panacur liquid mostly, and a Drontal plus maybe once a year because panacur doesn't cover everything - I give it in between meals like you, but I do give it with a small snack otherwise I find he vomits too. With a small snack it goes down fine. I've been leaning more towards doing worm counts now rather than worming, it's more expensive but it means avoiding these possible puke-fests!

BBP

Visit site
I was going to ask a similar question. Mine (collie) has vomited his entire stomach contents the last two times wormed with Milbemax, which I had thought was a safer one.

{97702}

Visit site
Always used to use Drontal until my vets changed to using Milbemax - never had a problem with any dog with either of them?

Actually I tell a lie, last time I used VioVets version of Milbemax (no prescription, same active ingredients at same %age) - they were fine with that too

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Round, tapes, hookworms are all covered by Drontal and Cestem. My three all eat grass and there are foxes around, so I want a broad spectrum product.

I may well go down the wormcount route, been doing it for years with the horse.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Round, tapes, hookworms are all covered by Drontal and Cestem. My three all eat grass and there are foxes around, so I want a broad spectrum product.

I may well go down the wormcount route, been doing it for years with the horse.

Precisely! Why give a chemical treatment for something they may not have? My working gun dogs on average are probably wormed three times in an average lifespan of c.13 years.

Clodagh

Visit site
Mine get milbemax this time of year only, as I believe that tapeworms do not show on worm counts and the labs hoover up a lot of rubbish in a year.
In the summer they all were treated with prinovox (twice) as one had harvest mites.
I wonder why it makes them so sick? I know our vets changed from drontol to milbemax as it was more gentle, but ours have been fine with whichever.

twiggy2

Visit site
I have used milbemax, mibeworm, droncit, deontological and panacur (liquid and granules) over the years and not had a problem to date.
Currently using panacur liquid for everyone.
I never worm on an empty stomach as I like there to be something in the dog rather than just acid.

Wishful

Visit site
We do Milbemax and Stronghold (not at same time) - DH is a vet so obviously no prescription costs - because he wants the residual cover as we have children. Dog is a lab with a tendency towards scavenging rotting mingingness if he gets half a chance and we doubt neighbours' cat's are worked- he is amazing at finding their poos!

Chiffy

Visit site
I changed from Drontal as I couldn’t get my present girls to eat it however it was disguised. I fed it in their meal, never any upset tummy issues though.
Now have Milbemax, eat it fine and no issues.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Also Velox A - much cheaper than Drontal, but same drugs. You should get that from a Country Store

Cestem is also similar to Drontal. The point is to avoid those, I think, given I’ve twice experienced issues with them.

Worm counting is fine, but as mentioned, it doesn’t cover tapes. I’m guessing there’s not yet a saliva test for dogs?