Wormer reduction test

Love

Visit site
I have used FEC and equisal tests for years now as routine (plus worming for encysted in winter) but have never done a wormer reduction test. I was sent one as part of my subscription so I used it this week.

My last FEC came back as 200epg medium count for redworm (equisal done at the same time was negative for tape) so I wormed with Equest (moxidectin) to cover that and potential encysted. Did reduction test 12 days after worming and it has come back today as 25epg with the note "suspected resistance shown to chemical used"

No mention of any next steps for me so unsure if I need to do anything? Usually a count of 25epg would require no treatment (according to the company I use) but wondering if that is different in this instance? I contacted them asking and awaiting their response.

Would be interested to hear other's thoughts in the mean time?

paddy555

Visit site
I don't suppose it is any different from a normal count showing a low level and it simply highlights potential resistance. Presumably as resistance advances there will be more results similar to this. I think next year when you use equest you will have to try to test this question, be doubly sure about the weight and that it has all gone down and resistance test again just in case there is some anomaly ATM. (I'm sure you did worm correctly :)) If the same happens then I'm not sure what happens long term if you have resistance to moxidectin. I suppose you could blood test for encysted to see if you need to worm.

I had similar with Pancur 5 day guard on a worm count of 800 on a new pony.Did a resistance test and reduced but only to around 200. I suspect I have resistance to febendizole.

I hope you will post your reply from the company..

I think it would be better if you could move this to the tackroom board. I feel it is going to become quite an important subject that may get missed here. Maybe one of the vets will have a view on this advancing problem.