Worming Advice Needed Please

Quigleyandme

Visit site
My knowledge of equine worms and treatment cycles is woeful as I regularly had fecal egg counts performed on my adult horses before it was a thing and poo picked every day even if I had to chip it out of the ice. My two yearlings were delivered in early November when they were 7 months old and the breeder injected them with ivermectin shortly prior to that. They were wormed with Pramox in early February. They have only periodically shed one or two dead round worms since I have had them and nothing at all since a day or two following the Pramox. Today I saw a few what might be pin worms in the dung and I have seen one horse scratching his bottom on the gate recently. Could someone please advise what product would be best to use?

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Probably best to speak to your vet, but I have had success treating pinworm with Panacur Equine Guard five-day treatment, and then meticulous husbandry including bum-wiping every day (with baby wipes or face wipes or the like), disinfecting gates and troughs and stable surfaces, disinfecting grooming kits and having one set of brushes for each horse, and poo picking as you are already doing.

I've also used pyrantel (e.g. Strongid-P) and ivermectin to treat pinworms, but apparently moxidectin is very readily absorbed and doesn't treat pinworms that well as they are so far down the digestive system. Pinworms have a five month life cycle and worming needs to be done regularly to interrupt the various stages, but as yours are yearlings I really would take advice from your vet. Good luck, I hope you manage to get on top of it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Westgate have some good advice.

https://www.westgatelabs.co.uk/info-zone/parasites-affecting-horses/pinworm/

Senior mare had pinworm last year, and although she has PPID and thus could be more prone to being reinfected, it cleared just with one double dose of Strongid P. The other two weren’t affected. I found a mature adult under her tail, so that is how I knew it was pinworm.

Fingers crossed, it hasn’t recurred.

indie1282

Visit site
If your horse gets pinworm then use a double dose of pyrantel (Strongid P) or a 5 day course of fenbendazole (Panacur 5 day guard)

Or you can get get a worm count done for pinworm if you want to make sure they definitely have it.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice as always. My vets aren’t doing dung or parasite analysis at the mo but Westgate Labs have some very useful illustrations and descriptions on their website (I used to like bean sprouts) and I am 99% sure they have pin worms. I cleaned their bottoms as BeckyFlowers suggested and there was a worm hanging out of one anus. I can’t buy Panacur 5 Day in Ireland but the vet has advised and they are ordering in the Panacur oral suspension for me. In the meantime they don’t seem too itchy so I’ll just keep up with the hygiene.