Worming advice please

Troggy

Visit site
Toff and Beano are due to be wormed about now, I have been advised to use either Equest or Eqvalan and I was after some advice on these. I have heard some bad reports regarding Equest and also as they are kept on their own and poo picked regularly, is it worth worming with something strong enough to last 10 weeks?? Does Eqvalan cover enough for this time of year? I could be completely wrong, I just wanted to check, as Equest seems to be a much more powerful drug.
Also Toff has just finished a course of antibiotics and 'bute, how long should I wait before worming?
Thanks!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have used equest with no ill effects.

Mine are kept in their own paddock and poo picked and my routine now is to worm count March, July and October and worm for tape in September and Equest in December for encysted red worm as these do not show up in worm counts. Equest or 5 day Pancur are the only wormers to get rid of encysted red worm.

I have done this routine for the past two years and will now only worm count March and October this year as they have always been clear or very low counts on one occasion.

Saves me money, less problem of build up resistence and no feeding unnecessary medication.

squirtlysmum

Visit site
I'd absolutely agree with Theresa and also send my ned's poo off for a wormcount, you can get kits from Westgate Labs who advertise in the back of H&H, they are extremely quick and send a report back.

Gillb

www.westgatelabs.co.uk
Hello Troggy you have had some good replies here. The problem with using Eqvalan would be that you will not treat encysted stages of redworm which are important at this time of year. Equest will treat them as well as all the other things you treat with Eqvalan.
Really unless you use counts then worming is just stabbing in the dark and possibly wasting a lot of money, giving too many drugs and even not treating what needs treating.
We offer a professional service, can give qualified worming advice and are the longest established postal worm count provider, members of BETA and AMTRA trained. We are also approachable human beings who keep our own horses so don't be afraid to ask!

Troggy

Visit site
Thanks everyone,for your advice
smile.gif