Worming advice -vets please!

FairyLights

Visit site
my 2 weanling colts were purchased in mid Oct , wormed with i know not what but guess Panacur before purchase On veterinary advice I double dosed with Strongid-P mid nov and had worm egg counts done in mid December, one showed 100 eggs the other none. Vet said not to bother with egg counts/worming until spring and the weather warms up. Is it a good idea to worm them now with 5 Day Panacur Guard for encysted red worm to try to avoid any potential mass migration? or would this harm them if its uneccessary and should I wait until later and have worm counts done before doing anything? Thankyou in advance.

brightmount

Visit site
I'm not a vet and I recommend you ask your own vet who knows your horses recent history, but what you're suggesting makes sense to me. It will be Pramox time in March/April anyway, which will knock everything on the head, so to give Panacur Guard now would help avoid an impaction later on.

The only time my worming hit trouble was when the YO was using Strongid-P, I don't rate it.

spaniel

Visit site
Just building up to worming with Pramox here too. Seen pony recently colicking with encysted redworms so not too early to be thinking about it.

eta- not a vet either!

FairyLights

Visit site
Thankyou for your replies, I rang my vets this morning and they said using Panacur Guard is a good idea so I promptly went off to buy some, brought it home,left it in the car and OH went off to work with it. Silly me, so tomorrow they will have their first dose, lets hope they dont notice it in their breakfast bucket.

ImogenBurrows

Visit site
ONe note - I agree with your vets, the 5day sounds like a good idea now, but you won't need the Equest Pramox as well as others have suggested. Use the 5d panacur OR equest in place of one another otherwise you are worming for the same thing twice and encouraging resistance.

The pramox part of the wormer is the praziquantel which is equitape. If you have used the 5d then give it a week and use equitape separately if you want to worm against the tapeworms as well now-ish.

Then I do what it sound like your planning and go back to WECs and worming under count guidance...

HTH