Worming, Flea, treatment monthly yes or no? Healthy or Unhealthy

ProSocDec

Visit site
My puppy terrier currently 6 months old is signed up to a monthly flea and worming course I was a bit reticent about this constant giving of chemicals to my dog, I don't deny that vets of course know their business, but sometimes are they serving an agenda for the masses? What is really healthy for our dogs? Are there any people who "do not" worm and flea their dogs preventively throughout the year, every month? What is everybody's thoughts on this because I don't want an outbreak of fleas in the house I certainly don't want my dog to be riddled with worms but I also don't wish to give my dogs chemicals every single month unnecessarily I know there are more chemical free suggestions I just wonder whether there's anybody who hasn't done this monthly throughout the year for their dogs from a young age as puppies to a grown adult age of many years and how those dogs have been?

Aru

Visit site
Depends on the risks in your area.

I live in a heartworm and paralysis tick area. Most dogs here are treated with meds monthly to try and prevent the disease/paralyis tick toxins. Bar the occasional one who has intolerances to meds,as can happen with any drug, I've never found preventative treatments to do any harm and they are much less severe and low risk then the treatment for the diseases they are preventing.

I wouldn't be as worried about fleas and normal worms im a healthy adult dog.occasional fecal tests to treat as required would be the option there as well and just check frequently for fleas.We rarely wormed our animals when I was younger unless it was required-worms seen not thriving etc. The exception is of course puppies as they much more likely to be badly affected by having a worm or flea burden.

However if your in a lungworm area I would be worming monthly-milbemax or advocate generally used for prevention.
Simply because french heartworm or lungworm as its more commonly called has got a nasty habit of occasionally killing dogs before it can be diagnosed as it causes clotting disorders and theres often minimal synptoms before its to late.

You can do preventative measures as well. Make sure dogs not eating snails slugs .never leave bowls or toys down outside and clean before use etc.but given it has the potential to cause such serious disease it's cause for concern and worth trying to prevent and control in my eyes. Its also a relative new addition to the british isles,first case in 1975 but it's spread rapidly and appears to be becoming endemic.
Its started spreading through Ireland over the last few years as well..used to only be on the east coast but more and more cases are being reported now.

It's a risk assesment...and tbh all depends on the risk in your specific area.

If your worried about longterm affects of medications you can use the short acting meds like milbemax-(milbemycin and praziquantel) as these do a kill of all parasites present at the time as opposed to the longer acting drug's that also repell fleas etc.
its the timeframe of giving these medication that really matters. Its about breaking up the lifecycle-monthly treatment stops any infestation by killing larvae present before they are old enough to be mature...

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I only treat when I see a problem. Young lab picked up a tick recently, so they were all treated with prinovax (spelling wrong but CBA to get up and look at the packet!). They are wormed twice a year with milbomax.
I have no cats and have never seen a flea on them.

tda

Visit site
Unfortunately we live in/near woods and there are lots of ticks around, so I do use remedies fairly regularly.

For worms you could feed diatomatious earth

Monthly is too much imo

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I worm count Hekkie (dog) rather than worm indiscriminately, just as I do the horse. I also test before vaccination so he was only vaccinated with one this year, no wormer for past 2 years.

ETA - we did have to de-flea a couple of times as he had been a street dog, but not for the past 3 years.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
You will see ticks. They often go on the face, behind ears, up the legs - anywhere really. I visually check mine daily, just when sat having a cuddle normally.

As for fleas - yes you can have an outbreak but if caught quickly shouldn't create too much of a problem to get rid of. I flea / tick control mine in the summer more for the ticks than the fleas. I bath mine weekly so I will see if there are any parasites immediately. But I have poodles and I'm a groomer, so that weekly regime is more than most people do. However, I would love to think that most pet owners brush their dog daily (lol, I know I'm dreaming) or at least weekly.

ProSocDec

Visit site
Thank you for the answer I wouldn't babe mine weekly because I just feel that the natural oils and everything would be lost but I do brush him regularly and I will keep my eye out for those things

druid

Visit site
I treat for ticks as we're in a tick heavy area and Babesia is an increasing issue - I use Bravecto because it's the only one useful for killing ticks early enough to prevent Babesia infection, but I only use it twice a year to cover tick season.

I don't give routine de-wormers but do worm count (make sure you take the sample over 3 days, they're not worm egg conveyor belts!) and when I had a pup who was awful for snail crunching he had monthly Milbemax to prevent French Heartworm

Karran

Visit site
I'm experimenting with Billy No Mates this year, same as you I don't like treating all the time but we get a lot of urban foxes in our garden and she can pick up the odd tick while out and about.
I started her on it end Feb, she has a teaspoon daily and *touch wood* so far all I've found is one dead flea.
Not a total convert until years out but so far, so good and it's all just herbs as well so all natural and no dodgey chemicals!

ProSocDec

Visit site
Why on earth at these vets like vets for pets promoting the People's dogs are wormed every single monster and claiming that they do it to their dogs!?

Aru

Visit site
Why on earth at these vets like vets for pets promoting the People's dogs are wormed every single monster and claiming that they do it to their dogs!?

If they live in lungworm areas it would be unusual for a vet not to be worming monthly. They see worse case scenarios. Advocate and milbemax are both licensed to prevent lungworm and are given monthly. They also happen to treat other worms and fleas in the
Case of advocate but the monthly treatment is for lungworm in the uk.

I worm monthly and I'm a vet lol

Prevention is a lot easier then cure in the cases of most of these diseases.

meleeka

Visit site
If they live in lungworm areas it would be unusual for a vet not to be worming monthly. They see worse case scenarios. Advocate and milbemax are both licensed to prevent lungworm and are given monthly. They also happen to treat other worms and fleas in the
Case of advocate but the monthly treatment is for lungworm in the uk.

I worm monthly and I'm a vet lol

Prevention is a lot easier then cure in the cases of most of these diseases.

I use my vets product similar to Adviocate as we are in a lungworm hotspot and there seems to be a lot of ticks around. I tend to treat them monthly only during the spring/summer/autumn.

druid

Visit site
Thanks for answer, how do you do a worm count then?

Take samples and mail them off (or drop to local lab in my case) - if you google I'm sure UK based services exist, often the same labs doing equine worm egg counts do dog ones as well.

If I was in a high lungworm risk area I would 100% worm monthly with Milbemax or similar, as we're not I'm happy to do egg counts. Egg counts are no cheaper than worming though - I'd just like to avoid contributing to dewormer resistance. I've never understood the "nasty chemicals" train of thought - many drugs are derived from natural sources...it's difference between taking digoxin or chewing on some foxgloves!!

Moobli

Visit site
I worm all our dogs religiously every three months - and alternate between Drontal and Panacur. I haven't treated my dogs for fleas for many years as I would only do so if I actually saw they had fleas. I live in a very low risk tick area but do go for walks in forests and woods that do have ticks, so check my dogs all over for a few days after a walk in these areas and remove any ticks with a O Tom Tick Twister (a cheap and fabulous little gadget) rather than treat routinely.

ProSocDec

Visit site
Thanks for being open, able that, but just thinking about a dogs health from long term use, eg around here maybe fox poo for lung worm but I've not heard otherwise.. (PS sorry for typos in previous post)

ProSocDec

Visit site
Thanks for the sharing and actually I do take my Pup on forest and treks, there also is alot of sheep poo he tends to get hold of at times, so maybe I should continue?!

ProSocDec

Visit site
Right, so most worm and flea ingestion tablets are from natural? For example the ones I get are not over the counter, I have monthly wormer and have switched to the monthly flea tab

{97702}

Visit site
I never treat for fleas, my dogs never have them. Luckily I don’t live in a tick area so don’t have to worry about that. I worm every 6 months - it always used to be OK, I’m not sure why it suddenly Isn’t and has to be every 3 months?