Worming kittens

poiuytrewq

Visit site
There are two kittens on the farm. They are nothing to do with me and the plan is to let them free to be mousers. They are currently 16 weeks I believe and it was mentioned that they have never been wormed. I don’t know much about kittens, of course I had my own but at the time was on a vet kitten plan so they just text me and sent the stuff out as and when. I feel like it was fairly often.
Ive said I’d look into it. What do they need and how often?
Pref the spot on type as I don’t fancy wresting pills down them.
Also while I’m at it, what age would you let them loose?

Flyermc

Visit site
i dont know the details, but when we got our kittens last July, they had a vet check and the vets recommended that i got the flea and worm spot on stuff to be done at the same time by the vet, so we did.

Shortly after this (within weeks) we noticed some very obvious signs of them having worms. i contacted the vets who said that the spot on treatment isnt effective for some types of worms and to use the tablets.

To be honest it felt like the spot on treatment was probably a waste of money, but i suppose i should have researched it.

Its probably not a bad idea to get them used to being handled

Archangel

Visit site
When the ferals were kittens I crushed up the tablets and added it to their food. They need quite a lot of worming (a few doses close together and then monthly until 6 months). As they have missed quite a few worming opportunties already they may need a catch up series of doses. I am not keen on the spot on wormer. Shady on here is good with kitten worming.

Not sure about letting them loose, is it a relatively safe place where they can find their way about without getting into danger? The feral kittens were pretty clued up from the start (but I still worried about them until they were about a year old).

fiestiemaestie

Visit site
I would get them neutered before letting them loose - can then be worked at the same time when asleep.
They are old enough now at 16 weeks so I would get them booked in ASAP!

Boulty

Visit site
Would probably recommend a combined flea / roundworm spot on monthly & then a tapewormer every 3-6 months (you can get droncit as a spot on that does this). Or you could use something like profender as a spot on wormer (would probably want to worm them monthly up to 6 months & at least 3 monthly after that probably, especially with them missing doses) & use seperate flea treatment. If they've never been wormed before that may change what's sensible to give them though & they may want them to have an initial 3 day course of panacur or similar to kick things off.

Would second getting them neutered before releasing (& they should be old enough to do from now onwards really) & should be able to have an initial dose of spot on at the same time.