Worming programme

humblepie

Visit site
Long time since I had a horse where the yard did not sort out/manage/do the worming so I need to set up a worming programme for my older horse. What's the current thinking on what worming when? Thanks all.

shannonandtay

Visit site
I was on a yard that didn't have a worming programme and I felt lost as previously I had just bought what I was told and wormed when I was told. I got in touch with west gate labs and found their advice really helpful and now use worm counts and just worm when necessary (as well as encrysted red worm and tapeworm).

lizness

Visit site
When I was at vets they advised Encysted tapeworm at first decent frost (Equest/equest pramox (pramox is for tapeworm too) or 5 day panacur though I believe there is resistance to active in panacur) then usually tapeworm in Spring. Worm egg counts three times in the summer wormed if needed. Worm egg counts can usually be done at your vets then you recieve veterinary advice knowing your horses history/background or there are companies that do it.
Encysted cannot be tested (or at least it couldn't) so that is why you worm for it regardless annually. You can test for tapeworm but it involves a blood test (which usually works out expensive compared to just worming). Some vets didn't advise tapeworm in spring but it has been linked with colic etc.
Worm egg counting usually when I did them were most frequently low counts which meant worming was not needed so although it costs to do is probably cheaper than worming and there is increased resistance to wormers which means we could get into a bad situation with limited wormers available.
There are different rules for youngstock/pregnant mares etc. It may be that your vets does a package for the year.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Use a company that will do worm egg counts for you - Westgate for instance. You can also have a tapeworm test done now with a saliva stick thing, it's great. Westgate can supply that too.