Worming question - encysted redworm

Ceriann

Visit site
I have stupidly used equimax for my horses to treat for encysted redworm. My mistake - I didn’t check the active ingredient properly. Given risks with encysted red worm I need to worm again - as I’ve wormed with equimax am I safer to use panacur which targets encysted redworm and not equest paramox as this will double up the already used active ingredients in the equimax? I normally worm by reference to worm counts (and generally don’t need to worm) but always worm for encysted in Dec/Jan - just cocked up on my choice of wormer! I wormed 3 weeks ago so there’s already a bit of lapse of time. Thanks in advance.

soloequestrian

Visit site
If you don't normally need to worm (i.e. the worm burden is very low) it would be biologically very strange to have a large enough number of encysted worms to cause any problem....

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If you don't normally need to worm (i.e. the worm burden is very low) it would be biologically very strange to have a large enough number of encysted worms to cause any problem....
Bit of a risk to take though? They do advise even if horses show generally low burdens in FEC to worm for encysted reds.

Ceriann

Visit site
They occasionally need worming but ive always wormed for encysted irrespective of test results. Teach me to read the details fully! I’ll wait a week or two and use a wormer that targets them.

Fransurrey

Visit site
That depends on a few things (yard move, unsettled weather causing re-emergence, blah blah). Encysted worms don't show up in counts and can remain encysted for 3 years or more. I have zero worm counts (last done in January) and worm twice a year as a result, yet I am currently dealing with cyathastomiasis in one of mine. I poo pick every single day and have done for almost a decade. In my case I did move yards in November, so he may well have picked them up at new yard, as they can encyst and re-emerge in as little as 2 weeks, apparently!

https://www.westgatelabs.co.uk/info-zone/parasites-affecting-horses/redworm/

OP, I was advised by the vet that if red worms did show up after worming (in my case with Pramox), then to worm again in 2-3 weeks to ensure I catch any remaining, particularly with the mild weather. If it's safe to do that with Pramox, I would say it's ok to use Pramox after standard Equest, but I would just phone your vet practice and ask for one of them to call you back. It's what they're there, for! ;-) Obviously mine is a more special case, so the benefits/disadvantage ratios are different.

SEL

Visit site
That depends on a few things (yard move, unsettled weather causing re-emergence, blah blah). Encysted worms don't show up in counts and can remain encysted for 3 years or more. I have zero worm counts (last done in January) and worm twice a year as a result, yet I am currently dealing with cyathastomiasis in one of mine. I poo pick every single day and have done for almost a decade. In my case I did move yards in November, so he may well have picked them up at new yard, as they can encyst and re-emerge in as little as 2 weeks, apparently!

https://www.westgatelabs.co.uk/info-zone/parasites-affecting-horses/redworm/

OP, I was advised by the vet that if red worms did show up after worming (in my case with Pramox), then to worm again in 2-3 weeks to ensure I catch any remaining, particularly with the mild weather. If it's safe to do that with Pramox, I would say it's ok to use Pramox after standard Equest, but I would just phone your vet practice and ask for one of them to call you back. It's what they're there, for! ;-) Obviously mine is a more special case, so the benefits/disadvantage ratios are different.

Can I ask what the symptoms of cyathastomiasis were? I'm very OCD about worming and worm counts since we lost 3 horses at an old yard to redworm damage. My horses were in a separate paddock, but my draft shared a barn during winter with one of the youngsters that was PTS so I've been a bit paranoid ever since.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Can I ask what the symptoms of cyathastomiasis were? I'm very OCD about worming and worm counts since we lost 3 horses at an old yard to redworm damage. My horses were in a separate paddock, but my draft shared a barn during winter with one of the youngsters that was PTS so I've been a bit paranoid ever since.
Lots of info online, but in brief: intermittent softer stools, general discomfort in gut, acute diarrhoea and/or colic. Vet repeatedly advised not to worm whilst he had diarrhoea and to leave a week between soft stools and worming. He was treated with steroids and biosponge. Worming was on Saturday and yesterday during a poo dissection I saw tiny immature red worms (still white, as they hadn't fed). Now keeping a close eye. It may be a red herring, of course, as I haven't seen any mature worms at all.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is theoretically correct that a full, well sampled history of low FEC throughout the summer grazing period will mean there is likely a low number of encysted red worms but FEC come with a lot of caveats that do make it a bit of risk to presume that.

Personally I'd just chuck a plain equest down the horse, but panacur 5 day could be used if you preferred that option.