Worming question!

LuandLu24

Visit site
Hi,

We have 3 different liveries on the yard I keep my horse on and all the horses share a field. My problem is that one of the liveries won't worm their horses when myself and the other livery do. There's no way we can fence off the unwormed horses as our field is too large and the horses don't respect electric fencing.

Is it worth us worming our horses or are the worms just going to come back straight away? I've sent off a worm egg count so waiting for results.

Thanks

Nudibranch

Visit site
Hmm, if the other livery refuses then you've got a bit of a problem - every time you worm they will most likely get reinfected from the one who is out of synch. I assume they worm them at some time? I'd really try and talk them round and get everyone on the same schedule otherwise everyone is just wasting money and helping to build up resistance. Could you even offer to pay for the next dose and a worm count to help get them in line if they are being really stubborn?

MissTyc

Visit site
It's definitely worth worming your horses; more than ever! Worm count 2-3 weeks after the end of the wormer's cover and then monthly to know when to worm again.
The old way of thinking of worm burdens has really changed. Obviously it's annoying from a pasture point of view, but you can definitely keep your horses safe.
Does this other person worm at all? Can you do a sneaky worm count on the unwormed horse? You might be surprised ...

Dry Rot

Visit site
Get a worm count done for the horse that is not wormed. Maybe it doesn't need worming? But if it does, you have ammunition to persuade the owner to worm when you do. No one can fault you for stealing a bit of poo, can they?