Worming regime for new pony

SEL

Visit site
I used to keep my horses on livery at a riding school who often got horses in from less than perfect backgrounds. The vet used to recommend the 5 day Panacur course then Equest Pramox straight after. That is strong stuff, but the idea is that if they have a heavy worm burden then the Panacur shifts it in a more gentle way than Equest - but the EP then clears up anything resistant to Panacur, plus tapeworm.

I'm sure most people will tell you to worm count first with Westgate or similar, but we just used to go straight to chemicals as it needed to be cost effective for the riding school.

Sparemare

Visit site
I’d do a worm count first too. But only if the horse was going to be kept on its own for a while when it came home. I wouldn’t risk putting a new horse in a paddock with my worm free horses and introducing worms into the herd.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Thanks. I get my wormers through the local vets, they draw up the plan and provide the wormers. One year they included worm counts as part of the service, but the results were very random, so after the first year they just do one annual worm count and the rest of the year provide the wormers.