Worming what do you do?

TequilaMist

Visit site
Was wondering what others do for worm control.
Do you worm everything every time due (with appropriate wormer of course) ?

Do you worm count?Couple of random samples and if positive whole field wormed?

Or do all your horses get a worm count and only ones over 200 EPG get wormed?

We do all worm count but only over get wormed but YO wants to go back to worming whole field if even 1 comes back POS.
Just wanting to compare what others do as unsure if YO has valid points re worms not getting better with present system.

Sealine

Visit site
All horses have a worm count and only those that need worming are wormed. Another worm count is then done on the horses that needed worming to ensure worming has been effective and worm count is reduced to an acceptable level.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Counts then worm only individuals with over 200 epg. Only my boys at home and I poo pick one has never had an egg seen! the other always has a count above 1000 in spring when the encysted one come out - even though I've worked him with 5 day P guard and equest paramox repeatedly and had post worming counts come back at nil.

Different horses have different burdens not always the fields - where does she get her hay? could eggs be coming in on that? or competing horses grazing at shows.

Borderreiver

Visit site
Who does your worm counts? Wouldn't it be best for your YO to talk through her concerns and discuss what is going on with the lab/vet, rather than knee jerk back to blanket worming. How would blanket worming fix the problem and how would she know it was fixed? It is more likely to exacerbate any current problem. If she is one of our customers we would definitely like to talk to her.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Thanks for replies.
He makes his own haylage. Usually good quality stuff not to rich.
Can see us going back to 'old way' of worming all each time as usually at least 1 horse per field got over 200.

Woody2013

Visit site
Westgate labs have been quite good at answering worm count and worming questions. I will give them a try and give the number to your YM as well xx

TequilaMist

Visit site
He a farmer(not saying that in a bad way he manages his ground well) just not horsey and a good YO
Eg. horse had worm count 100epg didn't get wormed then next count was neg. So as he says why neg when not being wormed. Do they just dissappear??
We have had random horses in field with over 1000 one over 3 times that.