Worried about Daisy

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Any clues what might have happened to Daisy... Last night she was lying in the living room when she got up to go out. She could not use her back legs, she was sort of staggering. She then fell sideways almost landing in the fire. She got up again and staggered to the kitchen where she fell again and lost control of her bladder. She moved to the door and then just lay there shaking, not trying to move anymore. It was more shaking with anxiety I think than fitting. I rang the vet and they said they would get someone to call me back. A few minutes after that she was sick. By the time the emergency vet rang back about 30 minutes later she was back to normal. And up until that evening she had also been fine. Enjoyed her walk that morning, eating and drinking as normal. He basically said he had no idea! She recovered too quickly for it to be a stroke or something neurological but it sounded too extreme to be a simple infection. She is 7 and in generally excellent health. Vet just said call back if it happens again or if she seems unwell in any way, but no planned appointment. Anyone had anything similar?

misst

Visit site
Has she ever had a bad back? My neighbours dog did something similar and the 2nd time had to have emergency surgery to relieve pressure on the spinal cord. The pain/shock might have made her vomit?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
She has never shown any sign of pain and she is a very fit and active dog. But I have not taken her for a walk again yet. I'll see if she seems guarded in her movement at all when I do.

misst

Visit site
My neighbours dog had never had a problem before this came out of the blue. The first time he was slow on a walk afterwards but not in obvious pain the second time it was very obvious as his back legs stayed completely paralysed so easily spotted. He made a full recovery and is still running around well 3 years later. He was about 3 or 4 at the time with no history of injury and was an active terrier.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
My neighbours dog had never had a problem before this came out of the blue. The first time he was slow on a walk afterwards but not in obvious pain the second time it was very obvious as his back legs stayed completely paralysed so easily spotted. He made a full recovery and is still running around well 3 years later. He was about 3 or 4 at the time with no history of injury and was an active terrier.

Thanks. Useful to have some ideas. Glad to hear the dog recovered well.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Our previous dog (a Parsons) had something a bit similar once. I didn't see him fall, but he did, onto his side, lost bladder control, seemed a bit shaky when he got up but recovered and by the time the vet had opened (this happened first thing in the morning) was right as rain. Vet never found anything wrong with him and it never happened again - I wondered whether he'd had some kind of tia or mini stroke.
How's Daisy now?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my dog had similar, wasnt sick though, she woke up in the middle of the night and was wobbly and shaking and seemed to have limited use of her back legs. i did post a thread about it, her eyes were flicking and the vet said it was like human vertigo and will make them feel sick, he gave her an anti sickness jab... it was called vestibular syndrome...it took 48 hours for my dogs eyes to calm down and a further week until she was walking unaided. apparently some dogs get better very quickly within 24 hours, mine took about 12 weeks until she was back to virtually normal but she is still not as agile as she was. she is 13 so old age has a bit to do with it as well.....my vet said strokes a very rare in dogs and another name they use for vestibular syndrome is old dog syndroime as it can happen out of the blue and for no known reason. glad yours has recovered well..

Beausmate

Visit site
Get her checked over, just in case. My dog had an emergency visit due to nausea and hypersalivation. She was virtually back to normal by the time the vet saw her and he said there wasn't anything wrong. A coupe of weeks later, she was salivating and looking nauseous again, then she collapsed. She was reluctant to move at first and was a bit quiet for a few hours and was back to normal after that. I didn't take her back to the vet, as I thought I would just get the same response as before.

Changed vets and took her in for a gastric upset. They scanned her and found a bleeding tumour on her spleen that was almost certainly the cause of the nausea and collapse.

I wish I had pushed for more investigations at the time, but there didn't appear to be much wrong with her. She also had other serious things going on that weren't discovered until much later.

These days, I don't care if the vet thinks I'm overreacting!