Worried about dog

Snuffles

Visit site
Little crossbreed 13 years has suffered from pancreatitis for a long time, but not had an episode for about 18 months. I was up at 4 am this morning because he was vomiting and he had loose stool with small amount of blood in. He's just been to the vet and been given painkiller and anti emetic. Looking very sorry for himself not interested in food or water. He has been sick over three dog beds !I am praying that its a bug and not pancreatitis again. However ( too much information here ) some poo from during the night looks blackish on the outside, but brown inside. Does this constitute a tarry stool, or would they be black all the way through.
Am panicking about internal bleeding now. Vet wants him back Friday if no better. Need good vibes please, this dog means everything to me as he was my late husband's dog.

JasonW

www.facebook.com
Hi, I'd be happy to add him to my weekly distant reiki group if you want? Just tell me his name. Good luck, my dogs are 14 now and struggling too.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Little crossbreed 13 years has suffered from pancreatitis for a long time, but not had an episode for about 18 months. I was up at 4 am this morning because he was vomiting and he had loose stool with small amount of blood in. He's just been to the vet and been given painkiller and anti emetic. Looking very sorry for himself not interested in food or water. He has been sick over three dog beds !I am praying that its a bug and not pancreatitis again. However ( too much information here ) some poo from during the night looks blackish on the outside, but brown inside. Does this constitute a tarry stool, or would they be black all the way through.
Am panicking about internal bleeding now. Vet wants him back Friday if no better. Need good vibes please, this dog means everything to me as he was my late husband's dog.

A tarry stool would be very black all the way through as well as shiny and very smelly. It's not just very dark brown... It's literally as black as tar.

Snuffles

Visit site
Oooh thanks Cobg, that's laid part of my mind at rest anyway ! Trying not to get too pessimistic but knowing how things can strike out of the blue plays on my mind. I will be trying to sleep downstairs on the sofa tonight to keep an eye on him. For once its not all about the Gordon Setter!

And thanks for your kind offer Jason

Snuffles

Visit site
Hes still no better, worried about some sort of blockage now. Hes not eaten anything since yesterday evening, no poos (which I suppose is logical with no food ) He doesn't eat chews or pick up foreign objects. Usually with an upset tum he recovers during the day. I don't think Im going to sleep tonight. Vet gave him torbalgesic (sp) which apparently is an opiate, so perhaps hes still a groggy because of that.Im clutching at straws now. Do I panic and take him to the emergency vets, which is a long way away or sit tight (just thinking out loud now)

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
So sorry he's no better. Did the vet give you a diagnosis or say whether you should try to get him to eat or drink?

If the emergency vet is a long way away, would it not be possible to phone them and have a chat?

Snuffles

Visit site
He has perked up a bit this morning, has eaten a little chicken. Spoken to vets and to keep an eye and ring and they will fit me in this pm if he doesn't keep improving. Must say I was convinced this morning first thing that I would be saying goodbye to him. I think it might be a flare up of pancreatitis after all, after over a year without.

On another note, just had a phone call from Clumber Rescue saying they had a 7 year old in for rehoming! Cant cope with three dogs though ! Amazing, been on their list and the Gordon setter list for ages and two have come along in fairly short time.

Snuffles

Visit site
He's much better thanks, I have had a good nights sleep !

(, seem to have been logged in under old name above thought that had been sorted out )