worried about ginger - roaring

khan

Visit site
Was lunging ginger last night, was fine for 10 mins or so, changed rein and after 5 mins on the right rein, whilst cantering, he tried to cough a couple of times, then started roaring? He is 19 and have had him for 12 years and he has never done this before - ever, i am worried in case this isn't a one off.

earlier in the year (because of cr@p hay) he has had a couple of nose bleeds through coughing (only tiny ones) which he had antibiotics for each one, the nosebleeds went after i put him on haylage instead, but he got really really bad diahorrea, but i kept with it and gave him supplements to help the diahorrea (but they didn't help at all - and he was starting to get run down) so he is now back on hay again, which is soaked really well.

any suggestions or advice please x

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Hmmmmm. I have a verteran (22) and if it was me, I wouldn't like the combination of coughing, odd nosebleeds, diarrhoea, exercise intolerance, loss of condition. I'd have the vet out to do a comprehensive work up in case something nasty is brewing somewhere. x

khan

Visit site
sorry if i wasn't clear, but the diarrhoea was only whilst he was on haylage and cleared up within 24 hours of being back on hay and his attitude came straight back too (he's been mental since the grass has started to appear - and tried bucking me off and charging off a few times). He hasn't lost any condition at all, and the vet has been up twice (i'm 192.00 quid lighter) but it was concluded that it was this rubbish hay that i had been delivered that was the main problem, hence the haylage.

i want some advice with roaring really please.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Ah - right. Sorry JN. Afraid I have no experience of that - bound to be some kind soul on here who can help so good luck. £192. Erk. Mind you, your ned sounds a real character and great fun so I hope it's all ok xxx
grin.gif

burple

Visit site
Roaring or sometimes known as whistling is heard after strenuas exercise and is normally due to paralysis on one side of the voice box or larynx (sp) i think that it is usually the left side commonly but not certain and the only way (i beleive) to diagnose it is by having a tube put down the horses nose and then normally put on a tredmill or similair only thing to do is call your vet and explain to him what has happened if your horse is a happy hacker then this should have no further effect on him but if he is an eventer then treatment will be neaded not sure of traetment I think they just make sure tubes are kept open! sorry if this all sounds like a waffle but hope it helps! good luck